Trying to open new board

Anything goes.
wcfrench

Trying to open new board

Post by wcfrench »

Thanks to bear and all for instr. I use a wireless router. It's real fast 802.11n and will most def connect at least a few computers. I know my IP address for the main cable modem connection here. I tried directing port 23 for telnet to my internal IP which is 192.168.1.107. does my router have an ip address? I already turned off the firewall on the router and send incoming 23 to forward to my computer. How do I go from external IP 70.171.75.173 which is cable internet. My wg3.30 and MajorMUD runs. I can connect and play from my console when I connect on 192.168.1.107. I cannot so far connect to 70.171.75.173. Do I need to use something additional to go from ext IP straight to router? We have 1 machine connected directly to the cable modem, but the router configuration is the same from each computer. Any assistance apprec.
Will

BearFather

Re: Trying to open new board

Post by BearFather »

First off you don't want to turn off your routers firewall, or you meaning the firewall in windows?

What you want to do is port forward port 23 to the 107 box. What brand and model of router do you have?

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

Thanks bear. I am connected from my mud machine wirelessly to the cable modem now. It has a built in wireless router. I will send pictures. When I run my ipconfig it now shows the DNS from my ISP. I know to put that as DNS server in wg3.30 setup. Can you verify? I have my IP here for my cable modem. I have my server IP address as 70.171.75.173. I am reinstalling because my internal IP was changed since I connected from the wireless router and connected directly to the cable modem. Anything in between I'm missing? I'll send pic to your PM.

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

After I put in my numbers in wg setup wizard, why does packaging manager utility put for the domain name: computer.70.171.75.173

Is that the way it's supposed to be set up? Does it set that for you and it works? My host name is computer. Also in the picture it says name address do I need that.
Attachments
IMG_20220310_111231003.jpg

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I can't connect still. The "computer" thing is just WG trying to be clever. Altho WG should only know about your internal IP and not external. So in WG setup set up the internal IP as the address. If your IP changes internally you will have to re-run WG setup to change it.

So to back up some, if your able to play locally with your local IP, then WG is setup and working don't touch. The rest of the work that is needed will be in your router firmware. One concerns me is you keep talking about 2 different routers. Chaining routers can be bad. And you will have a hard time with NAT.

From how I see the layout is: External router(70.171.75.173) -> Wireless router(192.168.1.?) -> WG host(192.168.1.107)

Is this is the layout? If so then you will have to port forward thru both routers.

If your still having issues this weekend holler and maybe we can sit down and work it out together.

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

Yeah I have been working to login to both wireless networks, but I am trying something different. My processor came today I was waiting on, I have everything set up on an old garbage machine from 2012. I will try to run the machine tonight. If everything is fine, after install fresh OS I have a cable modem I bought that I will try to set up on my new comp I am building, been waiting on the proc. If you text I can send you pics. Anyway this topic has not seen much my cell is 504 201 3788. I am going to install proc soon today. I'll let you know.

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

I have received word they have right processor I was looking for and not a replacement.. for my comp. I should be able to get it started up within the nxt few days. With cable modem and a real good internet connection.. I'll send pics. Email wcfrench@gmail.com if any qs..

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

Bear or anyone know if already have a cox modem with broadband add cable modem?