General MajorMUD Discussion
Rothchild

Big Map

Post by Rothchild »

WIP 1080p;

BearFather

Re: Big Map

Post by BearFather »

That is cool as hell. Nice work, I like these maps that show you how the realm is laid out.

Dizasta

Post by Dizasta »

Oh hell ya nice job. I've been thinking of making one myself. I really wanted to get a good view of everything from a good perspective. I another one of the whole realm was made and posted on Facebook, but it's to small to get a really good look at it. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see an update on this.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

I abandoned that and started working on 3D;
Edit; Improved lighting, cleaned up map overlay, slapped on a logo.
Last edited by Rothchild on Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

That is cool is fuck, I use the old one all the time to determine where I build a new mod.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

BearFather wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am That is cool is fuck, I use the old one all the time to determine where I build a new mod.
I echo the cool as fuck sentiments :)

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

I updated the image in the previous post. I improved the lighting, cleaned up the overlay map, and slapped on a MajorMUD logo.
BearFather wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am That is cool is fuck, I use the old one all the time to determine where I build a new mod.
Thank you! The fact that someone found it useful is awesome. If I had added Mod9, Black Mountains, and Sandbar it would make a great overworld map. Unfortunately the original was lost when a hard drive failed, so I only have the low res version.
syntax wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:54 pm I echo the cool as fuck sentiments :)
Honestly, it wouldn't exist without you. Nightmare Redux and MMUD Explorer have really helped keep the game alive for me. The ability to read room descriptions without booting up the server is incredible.

I normally only share my projects with my wife, who was my gang leader on a local dial-up BBS before we met in person. While playing the game I always wanted to gaze across the horizon. What can you see from the top of Blue Tower? What is Kai Master's view from his mountain ledge?

This is my third attempt to model the realm in Blender, which was abandoned around a year ago. It's actually modeled directly on top of the Notebooks of Jiggs Longthorne, which caused progress past Mod7 to be painfully slow. Everything fit together fairly well. The biggest required redesign was sewer's cave worm. I tried to keep the same general design and amount of turns, mainly changing turn direction. In this one, the first half of Mod7 is flipped. I really wanted the ocean to be at the base of Silver River, and thought it would be cool if you could see the Jungle from Western Outpost in Black Mountains. They were keeping an eye to the west for some reason.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I still think this is cool as fuck, can stare at it for hours naming areas and pointing to bosses.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

This is mainly my second attempt to model the realm. Kobolds and under Black House are using the technique of Realm3. The overhead shot doesn't show, but it does have proper elevation. The skull looking thing north of Darkwood is Chancellor Annora's, which is missing from Realm3. I was just modeling the rooms, but it looks like a skull from a few angels. In one game engine I setup proper collision that kept you on the paths. I found running to Two-Headed Troll a bit aggravating, even though I had clear line of sight. That's when I started calling it Maze: The Game.

Edit; Dragon's Teeth Hills, "Their sheer faces and sharp outcroppings make evident how their name was chosen. They are made of a light grey stone shot through with a deep metallic red, and are known to be unscalable." I want to see that. Imagine all the circle-ish areas as fangs hooked towards the road. DTH could be intimidating.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

If you want to fly around the model;
https://rothchild.itch.io/realm-tour?password=festus

Some ad blockers break W,A,S,D.