Setting up a new board

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Tarkus

Re: Setting up a new board

Post by Tarkus »

Hi everyone, hope you are all safe and well thru this Covid environment, new to the forum just joined today, I used to run some worldgroup 2.0 servers back in the 90s in Australia with a dear friend of mine, but unfortunately I have lost contact with him, anyway the other day I was cleaning up some storage boxes and came across all my BBS software and backup's so I fired up the old Mud BBS wg 2.0 (Ghosttown up to Mod 7) in a Dos 6.22 VM using VMPlayer Ver 15 on a Win 10 laptop I had lying around, restored the backup I'd had from when we last shut down the BBS, had to find a packet driver for the Virtual network card first! and to my surprise it came up without an issue, logged in and it worked and I was able to run 8 users scripting with Megamud and the response was great on my local lan, no issue. Then I got a couple of friends of mine ex mudders, to login remotely via telnet after doing all the port forward stuff on my router, but their response times were slow with just one user, almost teletext type refresh on their screens ... not really playable and they have good internet links, etc.
I also found my version of worldgroup 3.0 CD with the activation code so I fired that up and installed it with the demo version of mud on a Win 7 sp1 lappy as per the instructions on this forum and my friends response times were good, so then I embarked on doing a upgrade from wg 2.0 to wg 3.0 and the conversation appeared to go thru ok, users, menus, some modules, etc and most importantly MUD seemed to update without an error, I was able to login using user accounts from the old BBS without an issue, I can get to the Mud module and check out the Topten, gangs and go into sysop menu check out some of the options, look at the old activation codes etc, all seemed to be correct, but when I go to enter the realm it pops up a message saying "We're sorry, but the game is currently full. Please ask you sysop to upgrade his/her user license!", we had a 256 user license back in the day but that didn't seem transfer with the upgrade, unfortunately all the BBS user packs I have are on floppy, why did I throw the old floppy drives out...Doh!, but I have ordered a usb floopy drive via ebay, hope it arrives soon, so I can go thru all my floppies and hopefully find the Mud user activation files. Q. is that what needs to be re-installed or am I missing something else?
I searched thru the forums but couldn't find much on user license transfers from wg 2.0 to wg 3.0, etc. Any pointers from the experienced crew here.

Thanks in advance Tark.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Okay that was a wall of text...
Mud reg codes are based off the WG reg and install. So when you upgraded WG your mud keys became dead. But your in luck since mud is pretty much abondonware, you can find the code generator for it. In the files section here you can find a wg/mud pack with the code generators.

Side note WG is active still so you can get legit codes for it still, and free right now. https://www.themajorbbs.com/contact/

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

Thanks for your help BearFather, I was able to do the conversion from wg20 to wg30 and convert my Mud DB from 1.1b to 1.1g with all the accounts, etc intact, tried 1.1p but it kept failing with Btreive errors 22, 5, I'm not a DBA but I'll look into it.
Still testing but it looks promising.
Regards Tark.

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

Hi all, thanks to the Phoenix Project I got my WG 3.3 upgrade and 256 user pack, so I grabbed one of my WG 2.0 backups with MUD 1.11b installed from back in the day and went thru the upgrade exercise and all worked fine from 2.0 to 3.3 and MUD upgrade from 1.11b to 1.11g, but when I apply the 1.11p update I get the following Btrieve error, I do want to retain all the accounts for the BBS and MUD.
MUD Btrieve Error 22.png
Has anyone come across this error before and know a fix or is it because you cant go from 1.11g to 1.11p in one jump, is there some other updates I need apply in between and if so where can I get the in between versions.

Thanks Tarkus.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I remember from back in the day, you didn't jump versions. You had to go thru each patch.

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

Thanks BearFather for the reply, do you know where I can download any of the previous versions prior to 1.11p? I'm scouring the Net as I'm typing this message but with no luck.

Regards Tarkus.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I know mudcenral used to have them listed. Might try there first. But ftp sites like major . butt . care, might be your best bet.

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

Hi, I found some MajorMud version updates at this site,
https://archives.scovetta.com/pub/BBS/b ... qDv6H9wnhM

It comes up with a unsecure site warning, so I used a VM to go there and scanned the files, seems ok, but I haven't done the upgrades yet, let you know how I go.

Cheers Tarkus.

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

Hi, just an update, got all I need from the site I listed in my previous post, my test BBS is now running 1.11n, Mod9 and kept my existing user base and Mud environment, I'll let that run for awhile before I get to 1.11p.
Cheers for now.

Corvette

Post by Corvette »

If you enter a bad activation code, will it tell you?

Or is this why I am getting a realm is full message? (bad code?)

Also, I haven't received an activation code yet for my WG, would that be an issue?

Sorry, newb at running a board here.