for 50228534 damage!

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
BearFather

for 50228534 damage!

Post by BearFather »

Ok made a few mobs, and notice when they cast there spell I get the wrong damage displayed. Why is this happening? I remember long ago there was a update from mud that did this. Don't remember if this got fixed, or how to fix it. I played with the spell,message, and mob. And can't get it to stop.
The %s showers you with ice for %d damage!

output:
The fat Snow flurry showers you with ice for 50228534 damage!

Zero

Re: for 50228534 damage!

Post by Zero »

Not sure if it helps, but I pulled this from http://nmr.mudinfo.net/docs/help-messages.html

-casting in combat

Line 1 - Caster sees on success: You cast %s at %s for %d damage!
[spell][target][damage]

Line 2 - Target sees on success: %s casts %s at you for %d damage!
[caster][spell][damage]

Line 3 - Room sees on success: %s casts %s at %s for %s damage!
[caster][spell][target][damage] -- Note here the %s (and not %d) for damage

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Yeah already looked at that. I tried %s and it was the name of the spell. This is on line 2 btw.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

I have fixed this several times in my BBS, however to be honest I haven't ran into it. I believe it has to do with the fact that in the database there is a setting for Normal Cast Msg and i believe sometimes when that is incorrectly set to No then it can cause issues like this. Essentially, when creating messages %s and %d are just pulling a string and a decimal from an ennumerated list of string/decimal values associated with how the message should be formatted. However, that little Yes/No default message toggle seems to come into play with this. I would have to see the exact spell setup to see if the spell has a DescMsg ability or StartMsg ability to see what exactly it is doing and how the Yes/No setting is made. If you are still having issues with this, I have fixed it a ton of my BBS and I can either try to walk you through it or else remote in and take a peek ith you some time. Stop in my BBS (esoteric-edits.crabdance.com) some time and I will be more than happy to do my best to fix it for you. For awhile I was having my members report all the instances that was happening so I could go through and fix them all, and I think I got most of them.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Just a little update for this incase anyone else has this issue.

The normal switch was set to yes, and setting it to no cause a access violation's. But what fixed it was actually adding %s for the name to be displayed.

Before:
The %s showers you with ice for %d damage!

Fixed:
The %s showers you with %s for %d damage!