Port forwarding with VM

Anything goes.
thundercatz

Port forwarding with VM

Post by thundercatz »

I have a couple of questions. I set up an account and domain with no-ip.com, forwarded my port 23 on my router, and have worldgroup running successfully with local connections working fine on a VM. But when I test my port with canyouseeme.org, it seems as though port 23 is being blocked somehow.

1. besides setting my router to allow port 23 do I need to change any other settings for external access?

2. my VM that worldgroup is running on shows the same external IP as my laptop, do I need to forward the port for the VM separately?

3. I never installed Dialsoft. Will this prevent my machine from accepting outside connections?

Thank you in advance!

BearFather

Re: Port forwarding with VM

Post by BearFather »

my VM that worldgroup is running on shows the same external IP as my laptop, do I need to forward the port for the VM separately?

That line confuses me. But you want to forward port 23 to the vm that is running the wg server. So when people hit port 23 you want it to forward to that host.

It was very common in the day for ISPs to block port 23 so people can't host a telnet server. Try moving the port and see if that helps.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

you need to use your isp assigned number not your laptop lan number actual number to use is the default gateway do a ipconfig to see all the info needed default gateway dns etc. example my vm uses 192.168.1.79 which is my lan ip for people to connect to my bbs they have to use 99.11.43.123 which would be the isp assigned ip. for wg ip itself you use the lan ip but for the dns service your useing you use isp assigned good way to see your isp ip is to go to find my ip .com

thundercatz

Post by thundercatz »

I meant that when I go to IPChicken, it shows the same external IP on my VM as it does my laptop thats hosting the VM. On my routers settings, when I choose a machine to port forward, I didnt know if I should choose my laptop, since the VM gets its internet connection though the laptop. I used ipconfig in the VM, and set up my ddns, and set the port forward for 23. but it still gets no response. I'll Im try a random port and see if it works. My ISP is Frontier, not sure if they block that port or not.

thundercatz

Post by thundercatz »

I have my dns pointed at my ISP IP, that was found via IPchicken. Do I need to change settings in wg to run on another port besides 23? Its saying 'connection refused' when I try any port.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

check your firewall also check router see if it offers dmz and use that rather than port forwarding no idea if your connected directly to your cable/dsl modem from your internet service you wired or wifi who's your provider i have at&t and use dmz but only for telnet i do not have port 80 open for the web side of wg

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I still advise against dmz. But if your router can portfoward from 1 port to another then you can change it that way. Otherwise you need the tcp/ip dll that gives you the abil to change the port in WG.

Also you want to forward the port the VM is using not the laptop, unless your using some sort of nat and not bridged in the network settings of the VM>

wcfrench

Post by wcfrench »

I am in the same situation. So IP server address should be local network assigned IP like 192.168.1.101? And DNS should be ISP DNS address?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

That is correct.

sophiaabigail

Post by sophiaabigail »

enable port forwarding, open the settings for your Virtual Machine. Verify that NAT is selected in the Attached to: selector. At the bottom of the window, click on the Port Forwarding button. You are then presented 192.168.l.254 with a form where you can add new forwardings. the Network pane in the virtual machine's configuration window, expand the Advanced section, and click the Port Forwarding button. Note ...In bridged networking, a virtual machine is connected to a network using the network adapter on the host system. This networking configuration is often the easiest way to give your virtual machine access to the network. A bridged network (VMnet0) is set up for you when you install VMware Player.NAT mode will mask all network activity as if it came from your Host OS, although the VM can access external resources. Bridged mode replicates another node on the physical network and your VM will receive it's own IP address if DHCP is enabled in the network.