Broken Class/Races

Discussion relating specifically to the popular MudRev dats.
RandalThor

Broken Class/Races

Post by RandalThor »

On our board we have tried both MudRev and Silicon and have run into the same issue on both.

When someone creates a character, say a Quickling/Samurai and then exits and logs off the board. When they return, they are in the "edit your stats" page and the character is now a Half-Ogre/Ranger.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a Fix for this?

Thanks!

BearFather

Re: Broken Class/Races

Post by BearFather »

Hmm you will need to edit your dll to allow more races and classes. There should have been a modified dll included with the patch.

If not, go here and read how to edit the classes and races. Might as well do spell/monster limit too.
https://kyau.net/wiki/MajorMUD:Documentation

masterstooge

Post by masterstooge »

Well we have solved the board crashing when you attack/kill the first monster and solved the new race/classes changing when you log out and back in...

I have even solved MegaMUD not wanting to allow the new race/class chars to party up. Now the issue I have is with, say the Wardancer, when you try to put the blessing spell Blur into Mega it says "No matching game messages are defined to signal the end of this duration spell". I have added the new races and classes into Mega manually but I cannot seem to put in the race or class abilities (stealth, illum etc.) and I cannot help but wonder if this may be the issue for the spells not working... I'm just spit balling here since Bless is already a known Mage1 spell and Wardancer is setup in Mega as a Mage1 class.... Same issue with Samurai using Owl but the Mystic has no issues with the same spell...

Anyone have a resolution I can do to resolve this issue? I have seen a thing about HEX editing but I am 1000% not savvy with it enough to accomplish this feat without quite a bit of insight from one of y'all that have a bit more knowledge than I do. Diesel Mechanics is easy for me... Hex editing, not so much.

Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer.
Stooge

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

When it came to assigning spells to classes, I found it was easier to set them to any magic level that way mega doesn't restrict it.

dethawk

Post by dethawk »

I'm having the exact same issue with race/class resetting on logout on my board. I added all the hexedits from https://kyau.net/wiki/MajorMUD:Documentation to the .dll - does anyone have some more advice? After editing is there anything additional that needs to be done?

Update: I've noticed that the previously existing vanilla race/classes haven't changed at all. So a human has straight 100 max stats for instance. Even vanilla characters are rolled to HalfOgre Ranger on exit though.

Update2: I've found out that if I do a database import and then immediately run a cleanup and start the server up manually the new classes/races will stick. But if i reboot the windows server WG is running on, it reverts back to flipping everyone to a halfogre ranger when they logout... it's been a VERY long time since I configured WG - are the optional database steps etc. necessary from the guide for a revmud board?

Update3: It seems like the problem doesn't happen until the board has been running for maybe 15 minutes. Enter/Exit doesn't reset the character class/race no matter how many times I do it until then. Is there anything I could check? Database files? Maybe something is crashing and reloading? Log files?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Normally you just do the DLL hack and your done. I would double check the edit make sure you didn't miss one of the entries. Cause there is a couple you have to do. Also have you tried an offline recovery after you did the edit?

dethawk

Post by dethawk »

I did. I'm wondering if it's actually a WG problem at this point. Are all of the optional steps in the guide required?