Tweaks & suggestions

Moderator: BearFather

goodriddance

Tweaks & suggestions

Post by goodriddance » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I thought I'd start a more general tweaks thread for minor things here & there that folks notice. Pieces of gear that have become obsolete because of subsequent edits, balance issues, or bugs that have a substantial effect.

One general point: I really don't intend for this to be a license to whine. Bear's done awesome work making a really sweet edited MajorMUD, and there's no reason to give him a hard time. Let's keep it focused on ideas & suggestions for improvement in future mods, etc.

I'll start with one gear tweak suggestion:

We have two lvl 70 shields:

Drider skin shield: All combat classes, 10/2 ac, 150 encumbrance
Drow mesh shield: Chainmail, 8/1 ac, -2 accuracy, 350 encumbrance

Seems like drow mesh should have an advantage over drider skin, otherwise no toon would ever wear it! Also, drider skin seems a bit overpowered for a natural/leather shield doesn't it?

Suggestion: make drow mesh the stronger of the two by flipping their ACs. Maybe even nerf drider skin to 5/1 instead of 10/2.

Cheers!

BearFather

Re: Tweaks & suggestions

Post by BearFather » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:15 pm

I love the idea of this post. Cause so many items get forgotten after new ones. We do have a new mod in the works, and I will work on doing some of these tweaks for that mod.

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Awesome, glad you endorse!

The other main thing I've noticed so far is that the +50 spell dam on the magic crystal studded helm is SUCH a glorious bonus for all the high lvl weapons that do most of their damage from spell procs. (And probably druids, who get a big ass bonus to their spells eh?) I love it!

What about opening it up to ninjas, who are combat based but can't wear leather? I think the simplest thing would be to add that to a ninja-only worn item. The rationale: if you made it part of the silk sets, all the spellcasters would get a huge (unfair?) damage boost. But without it, ninjas will always be weaker than other melee classes where this helm is an option. (I even know some warriors/paladins who still wear this leather helm just for that bonus...)

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:18 am

Another one many of us noticed this past few weeks:

Severed head of Baenre can only drop once per char and needs to be turned in for the ion stone quest. (mana+75, sc+40, maxdam+2). But it's an awesome worn item (basically, upgraded Goru and orc warlord mixed together) that many chars would love to wear! Also, god forbid you drop it & it gets deleted at cleanup - you can never get it again or finish your quest.

My suggestion: change Baenre head to a regular 100% drop OR make it drop for everyone every time, without checking quest flags.

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Just noticed that the way cool deathtouch healing spells that work so nicely between combat rounds currently don't trigger combat engagement. Makes it really nice for grabbing a quick heal from your party leader, but would probably have some unintended PVP consequences, avoiding evil points & breaking the level difference limits on PVP...

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Got another one for ya, Bear:

Ogre skin cloak is a *very* nice combat oriented cloak:
HP+100, BSmin/max +30/+40, MaxDam+5 etc

It is also the only leather-restricted cloak in any of your edits (and indeed one of only 3 in the game)! Seems cruel to prevent combat silk wearers (ahem, ninjas) from getting the damage, HP and BS damage that all the leather wearing sneakers/backstabbers get.

Solution: make ogre skin cloak silk/natural!

Or if keeping this away from mystics was intentional, make a comparable ninja-only lvl 100 cloak? (Item suggestion: make an Erevis Cale's cloak w/comparable BS, HP and max damage bonuses; maybe also dodge...)

BearFather

Post by BearFather » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 pm

You left I guess before we discussed this, I did change it to natural armour.