Editing Actions (attack, punch etc.)

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Osiris

Editing Actions (attack, punch etc.)

Post by Osiris »

I can't seem to find anything specifically about this topic. And I feel like I've scoured Nightmare enough to need to ask for outside help. Is it at all possible to edit attack actions? I am trying to create what would be considered a room spell, but as an attack type. I'm guessing that it would require editing .dll files with a hex editor? I'm still new to this, so forgive me if this is a dumb question lol.

Cheers!

BearFather

Re: Editing Actions (attack, punch etc.)

Post by BearFather »

You can only really edit messages and textblocks. To add extra attacks or change way attacks behave is beyond nightmare.

When it comes to your normal editing, just remember you are just editing data in a DB. So you can only change messages, and the chain of events. Spells and textblocks are your magic sauce, learn these you can make some amazing things happen. But at the same time lots of things don't work the way you think they will, so play with an idea and test away till it works correctly.

thundercatz

Post by thundercatz »

I was afraid of that. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I'm looking forward to learning the nuances of editing. I've wanted to set up a realm for years. I finally have the time to commit to it. Hopefully, I'll be able to create something worth playing on someday :D

thundercatz

Post by thundercatz »

I've also noticed that a lot of the mudrev realms have similar content (like shadowmere etc.), at least some base maps. Is there somewhere to download map files that others have already written?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

There is a section here for addons like new maps and the like.