Which database format would be best for a MajorMUD client?

Anything goes.
rytz

Which database format would be best for a MajorMUD client?

Post by rytz »

Hi:

I was curious.

Which database format would be the best for distribution with a MajorMUD client to ensure accurate data representation for a mud instance (classes, races, items, rooms, monsters, messages, etc)?

Currently, it seems most boards are providing exports for MMud Explorer. It's been a while for me but I assume this is done through NMR. For stock boards/instances, the information is well established overall in the MME exports but things get a bit crazy for MudRev.

If the mud client supported reading them directly, would it be better to just offer the game DATs? Or would it be best to just use MMUD Explorer exports?

BearFather

Re: Which database format would be best for a MajorMUD client?

Post by BearFather »

I would say MME is the best way, cause giving out dats is not something I would do. There is trade secrets in there.

rytz

Post by rytz »

BearFather wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:40 pm I would say MME is the best way, cause giving out dats is not something I would do. There is trade secrets in there.
Thanks.

Is it possible to export the messages/responses (as shown in MegaMUD) to an MME database? Looking at all the data that is available and used in MegaMUD, I think that's the only thing I don't see in MME. I'm not sure if I'm running the latest version of MME, either.

Would there be any other data that should be included with an MME export that a new mud client should use?

The idea would be to hide your "trade secrets" but distribute all other data for the mud instance that can be used in the client.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I personally don't have any clue what actually goes into the MME. That would be a question for Syntax. But I assume the messages db is what you want the most.

One suggestion could be to build your own export tool that would go over the dats and pull the info you need like mob and messages

rytz

Post by rytz »

BearFather wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:20 am I personally don't have any clue what actually goes into the MME. That would be a question for Syntax. But I assume the messages db is what you want the most.

One suggestion could be to build your own export tool that would go over the dats and pull the info you need like mob and messages
If MME databases have the messages already, I think it already has everything needed to be used for mud client/instance distribution. I think I saw textblocks being referenced, so maybe the messages are already there and MME doesn't have UI features to view and search them directly.

I'll have to do some more poking around.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

MME DB does NOT have all of the necessary fields. It only contains what is necessary for lookup. Was designed that way specifically both for file size and export speed, but also so that sysops didn’t have to worry about people stealing their dats.

rytz

Post by rytz »

syntax wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:12 pm MME DB does NOT have all of the necessary fields. It only contains what is necessary for lookup. Was designed that way specifically both for file size and export speed, but also so that sysops didn’t have to worry about people stealing their dats.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info, Syntax.

rytz

Post by rytz »

BearFather/Syntax:

Out of curiosity, what mud data is considered secret or proprietary to a mud instance/BBS? Much of the game data is already released with MME.

For custom games like MudRev, game messages/strings for custom spell effects and statuses would be a huge convenience in a distributed client database so that players don't have to manually add them constantly.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

It’s the simple idea that someone can’t just rip someone else’s hard work and import it into their own realm. Yea, the main details are there if someone had the motivation to recreate them, and ideally people would release stuff to the community for consumption eventually, but on their own terms.

I presume you know that the mudrev dats are already available.

rytz

Post by rytz »

syntax wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:28 pm It’s the simple idea that someone can’t just rip someone else’s hard work and import it into their own realm. Yea, the main details are there if someone had the motivation to recreate them, and ideally people would release stuff to the community for consumption eventually, but on their own terms.

I presume you know that the mudrev dats are already available.
My understanding is that we have a base MudRev and everyone has tweaked it and fixed things to their taste. I'm under the impression that Bear's MudRev is not a stock mudrev and has a lot of custom stuff. That seems to be the separation and where Ops want to protect their time and money investment (which I understand).

If a new client ever rears its head, maybe an export/import of messages and strings is something we can talk about separately. I think that's the only extra data I could see being helpful that isn't already available in MME.