Working on a BBS

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
BearFather

Re: Working on a BBS

Post by BearFather »

try setting it to 254, cause you have to think about line 0. Other then that I redo the key and try again.

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

I found out what the problem was. Some installations of Worldgroup come with a bad pre-installed registration number. That number is 39574913 (which is what I had). The only way to fix this is to:

open galgsbl.DLL in a hex editor
search for 'reg#'
change the registration number to something other than 39574913
regen key for the new registration number

I found this answer on another topic in this forum - thank you "etp" for posting this. I put in a new registration number and it doesn't look like my board is starting up in demo mode anymore.

Tkaudi

Post by Tkaudi »

my attempt is coming up in demo still too, but I can't get my hex editor to find the reg# in that dll...

grrr.. can't get it out of demo, thinking of erasing it and redoing it all as I changed some of the keys in the mud files and now its more messed up!

Tkaudi

Post by Tkaudi »

got it out of DEMO, reinstalled it with a different reg key.

I still run into an issue when logging into the BBS that it says I Do not have access to the M option, which is MajorMUD when trying to run its menu option.

looking through all the safety and security for keys and such that would stop a menu option from working, anyone ever run into this when setting up their mud?

Joker

Post by Joker »

Tkaudi wrote:got it out of DEMO, reinstalled it with a different reg key.

I still run into an issue when logging into the BBS that it says I Do not have access to the M option, which is MajorMUD when trying to run its menu option.

looking through all the safety and security for keys and such that would stop a menu option from working, anyone ever run into this when setting up their mud?
First, make sure that majormud is enabled in the menuing tree. Second, check under configuration to see which key is required to play the game, and make sure you have that key assigned to your account. I think the default key is "NORMAL", but I could be mistaken.

Tkaudi

Post by Tkaudi »

Interestingly I can /go majormud on the bbs and enter the mud.

but pressing M doesn't work.

New to this system (done 3 major (2000+ hour) overhaul mods for top end games so I'm not a noob at remaking someones game) and how the MUD interacts.

Its getting there, now I have to:

1- get the menu system to work without needing to /go majormud
2- figure out how the OP removed all the annoying 'register an account' questions
3- dig up the hex edit I saw mentions on how to add more classes/races (i take it the mud won't load them without a hex edit somewhere still? (running -o version)
4- figure out how to load modules, I think its the file that lets you move active and disabled modules to left or right of the screen (as I want to install the BLANK mod module and restart the world from scratch, like where does this file go? can I remove it after I load it and it does it work?)

there is no real 'how to get started' thread anywhere, so sorry for asking questions ;)

EpicMUD

Post by EpicMUD »

Tkaudi wrote: Its getting there, now I have to:

1- get the menu system to work without needing to /go majormud
You will want to run the wgsrunmt.exe. This will allow you to add and remove things to the Worldgroup menus and allow you to set up the navigation how you want it for your board.
Tkaudi wrote: 2- figure out how the OP removed all the annoying 'register an account' questions
To change/add/remove the sign-up questions I believe you want to run the Security and Accounting menu in the Worldgroup folder.
Tkaudi wrote: 3- dig up the hex edit I saw mentions on how to add more classes/races (i take it the mud won't load them without a hex edit somewhere still? (running -o version)
You will probably want to use Nightmare for all your MajorMUD editing.
Tkaudi wrote: 4- figure out how to load modules, I think its the file that lets you move active and disabled modules to left or right of the screen (as I want to install the BLANK mod module and restart the world from scratch, like where does this file go? can I remove it after I load it and it does it work?)
This is also done via Nightmare. Simply download the mod you would like to use and goto Tools > Databases > Import Records.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

danielspain

Post by danielspain »

to clear demo mode once installed in demo mode, do a fresh install over the existing install (setup.exe don't overwrite .msg and .dat files) and enter activation code when asked.

Daniel Spain
Worldgroup Systems and Addon Developer

Logos

Post by Logos »

iofhua wrote:I found out what the problem was. Some installations of Worldgroup come with a bad pre-installed registration number. That number is 39574913 (which is what I had). The only way to fix this is to:

open galgsbl.DLL in a hex editor
search for 'reg#'
change the registration number to something other than 39574913
regen key for the new registration number

I found this answer on another topic in this forum - thank you "etp" for posting this. I put in a new registration number and it doesn't look like my board is starting up in demo mode anymore.

:roll: What is this key that you are using to generate 254 users? I have a netopia router and it can be set for pass through and static IPs plus wireless. I want to bring back up my system, but currently cannot use some of the older games. I would also like to use this type of forum since it looks a lot more professional than the stock one.

Logos

Post by Logos »

system is up with some modules at telnet 67.34.128.202. However ia cannot get major MUDD and Major MUDD PLUS up and running and the active html has problems with the page references.