Couple questions about abilities

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
BearFather

Couple questions about abilities

Post by BearFather »

Ok I have been making new area's and making quest in those areas and came across a few quirks. So was wondering if any of you know something I might be doing wrong or just the way it is.

First one is giveability vs ability. I can make giveability work almost 100% of the time. But ability only works when it feels like. I know give... makes it set no matter what it is. But I was hoping to use ability to add to it. Is there a trick to this?

Second one is the giving stats to a player. I have tied to make a text block with "giveability 49 10" which is charm. I can get it to set the ability on the player but seems to have no effect. Are there certain abilities that can't be added to the players? Do I use something else to modify there actual charm?

cuckoorules

Re: Couple questions about abilities

Post by cuckoorules »

abilities are wrapped in tons of confusion in the sense that some of them don't work at all, some of them work in unexpected ways, and some of them work just as you'd think. I still haven't yet figured it out but if you'd like to discuss what you're trying to do with me directly my board is esoteric-edits.crabdance.com. I am usually around evenings. Another decent place to ask questions where I find better answers is on the Majormud Developers group on Facebook.

BearFather

Re: Couple questions about abilities

Post by BearFather »

Thanks for the offer to help, I might have to jump in there soon. Only problem I work nights so be hard to catch ya. Also I hate facebook but I guess I will have to log into it and check out the group.

I know most the people that know about this don't play or even think about this game anymore. But hey it's 30 year old game.