Catoblepas

General MajorMUD Discussion
Redline

Catoblepas

Post by Redline »

Where can I find this thing? I've been scripting Misty Valley loop in Mega for a week now, and I've never personally seen it. I'm trying to get the eye it drops (5% drop).

I'm using Winterhawks paths if that makes a difference. Is the Script hitting catoblepas' room? It goes through most of Misty Bog area including black dragons/swamp leeches/bandits. Not sure if I'm in the right area or not.

Where the heck is this thing ? Thanks.

sigma

Re: Catoblepas

Post by sigma »

Not sure why you're looking for this thing in the first place as, IIRC, it's not used for anything quest-wise, and using it just auto-kills (i.e. does 9999 damage) whoever used it, but still...

First off, a bit of a no-brainer, but if you're scripting for it, make sure you change it to "Enemy" in game data, as it's set to "Flee" by default. If you don't make this change, you'll just script right past it.

That aside, instead of relying on a Megamud path to find the thing for you (which it might not-- especially if the path you're using doesn't go into the Misty Bog areas at all), do the work yourself the pseudo-old-school way... find it in the monster list in Majormud Explorer, then look at the room list at the bottom of it's info, specifically at the ones listed as "(Lair)"... it can spawn in any of those 10 or so rooms. Double-clicking on any of those rooms will transfer you over to MME's "rooms" page, and give you a map of the area surrounding that room. Use that map (or some other map if you prefer) as a guide and manually make your way to each of those "(Lair)" rooms in succession to check for it.

Note that it can roam a bit, so If it's not in any of those rooms specifically, then run to the Misty Valley -> Valley Path Crossroads (near Orfeo), and, again, using a map, just just manually walk through every (IIRC) Swampside Path, Misty Swamp, Misty Swamp Path, and Misty Bog room and you should be pretty much guaranteed to find it.

Once you do find and then kill it, if it doesn't drop the eye, check the step list of the loop you're using to script the area against the map in MME, and make sure it's passing through all the monster's (Lair) rooms, but be aware that the thing has a 10-hour regen time.

Redline

Post by Redline »

Sounds like a lot of work lol, since I don't use MME. Maybe it's time to start.

The significance of the eye it drops is for the Gypsy only weapon: Midnight Glare. So, yeah it has some worth, and a 10 hour regen time is a bummer to hear. So can get the sucker 2-3 times a day at 5%. Ugh.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go I spose. What choice do I have :)

brewbs

Post by brewbs »

Yeah that thing is a royal effing pain. Have killed it about a dozen times in current realm and twice now it has just gone AWOL - nfi where it has regenned. Sysop reset it last time, but it is super annoying because it has so many regen rooms and swamps are not fun to manual around multiple levels with MME. Like gypsies don't have it hard enough, gotta hunt down a drop from a monster with what looks like 200 regen rooms and an insta kill attack. My methodology is to run the crappy misty swamp loop (400+ rooms) with attack off and catobeplas set to hang. If I find it I can enter and make sure to get a clean bs on it while at keys.

It does feel like it can bug out though. I haven't checked every damn swamp room but had same issue for Malivek and checked every room in that mine several times over with no luck. These multiroom spawn mobs are so irritating if they go missing, it's so hard to work out they've disappeared in the first place.