Auto re-start when crash

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
nibbana

Auto re-start when crash

Post by nibbana »

Is there anyway to get worldgroup to automatically restart in the event that it crashes? I figure there has to be some file that runs batch files upon a crash. I would assume that this is how the crash log gets created. If I knew what this file was, I could create a basic .bat file that would start the server back up.

Any insight?

EpicMUD

Re: Auto re-start when crash

Post by EpicMUD »

What kind of crash are you getting? I thought Worldgroup does restart in thirty seconds after a crash.

nibbana

Post by nibbana »

Not getting any crashes. Just in the event tge #1 person rerolls or something.

ODSBBS

Post by ODSBBS »

nibbana wrote:Not getting any crashes. Just in the event tge #1 person rerolls or something.

You don't want it to automatically restart when it crashes... this is how things get corrupt and worse in the long run when things crash and load then crash some more... anytime it goes down you want to know, so you can go into offline utilities and run a recovery just to be safe... or at least figure out what happened and prevent it from happening again... could be someone using the bard bug because they died and don't want to go get their gear in the bosses room, could be a dozen other reasons that you'll want to address.

MegaMUD BBS (ODS BBS)
Operation DataStorm BBS
http://bbs.MegaMUD.com
http://ods.ods.net
~ Since 1987 ~
cjt

Post by cjt »

It does auto-restart after non-critical failures. You'll see an error log when you return, but the board will be operational.

Anything btrieve related, it won't come back online for the reasons stated above.