WG at system startup and nightly backups

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Bodhi

WG at system startup and nightly backups

Post by Bodhi »

I wonder if anyone can give me a little point in the right direction. First, I cant get WG to load at start up. I put it in the windows start up folder and it doesn't load and I don't want to run it as a service. Second, I have the .bat file for nightly backups but its been a little more than a year since I set up mud and I cent remember how to point WG at the .bat file at cleanup. Thanks in advance.

Running WG 3.30 on windows 7.

Larsen1906

Re: WG at system startup and nightly backups

Post by Larsen1906 »

naming the bat wgsclean.bat should have it run at cleanup. if you edit the wgsclean,mdf you'll see which bat files are run for which events (wgsclean.bat) should be the first option for auto-cleanup.

Ive had to place a shortcut to wgsappgo.exe in my all users startup folder to get the bbs to load on startup.

There is also another alternative to backups rather than relying on the cleanup routine to backup all your files. It takes some config time, but so far it has been well worth it.

Let me know if your interested.

telnet tdrbbs.ddns.net
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Thanks. That did the trick for startup. I still cant get backups to run. I found the .mdf file and its listed but the board just goes through normal cleanup. No saves.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Well as it turns out it seems it is doing the nightly backups, sort of. It is creating the folder _backups but it is only writing the mud config file to it instead of the backups of the data. This is what I have in the .bat file. Is something wrong in it?

@echo off
mkdir _backup
rar a -rr -xwccupda2.dat -ag-MMM-DD-YY _backup\wccbackup.rar wcc*.*
del _backup\wccmmud.log
move wccmmud.log _backup\
rar a -rr -ag-MMM-DD-YY _backup\wgsbackup.rar wgs*.dat

Larsen1906

Post by Larsen1906 »

You do not have to make the directory every time.

Try this:
cd \wgserv
rar a -rr -ag-MMM-DD-YY_HH_MM _backup\wccbackup.rar wcc*.*
rar a -rr -ag-MMM-DD-YY _backup\wgsbackup.rar wgs*.dat
del _backup\wccmmud.log
move wccmmud.log _backup\

I did see the -x switch in your last post -xwccupda2.dat which is the switch for exclude files. If rar actually reads it then that means it will skip all the .dats listed in wccupda2.dat. That may be your issue.

telnet tdrbbs.ddns.net
ODSBBS

Post by ODSBBS »

@echo off
start /WAIT C:\wgserv\winrar.exe a -rr -ag-MMM-DD-YYYY C:\wgbackup\wgbackup.rar C:\wgserv

I prefer to do the above... this will backup your entire C:\WGSERV every day and leave zero question if you need to restore a backup you can go back a full 24 hours to the entire system... how many times have you seen systems go down because the user database got corrupt, or some other part of the system failed... great they had a majormud backup but the rest of the system was toast... (is it really going to kill you to take a minute or two and securely backup everything for an easy replace later if something blows up)

This assumes you have a copy of the command line winrar in your WGSERV directory to run from your WGSCLEAN.BAT file... and you want the file placed in another directory called WGBACKUP... the options listed will end up giving you a filename of "wgbackup-MAY-05-2013.rar" which allows you to know its a wgbackup quickly and go immediately to a certain date where you know changes were or were not made in case of rollback or testing purposes.

MegaMUD BBS (ODS BBS)
Operation DataStorm BBS
http://bbs.MegaMUD.com
http://ods.ods.net
~ Since 1987 ~
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

That is exactly what it was. I forgot to put the rar.exe. file in the WG directory. Thanks for your help guys.