Big Map

General MajorMUD Discussion
BearFather

Re: Big Map

Post by BearFather »

That is cool as fuck till it crashed my browser window.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

BearFather wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:19 pm That is cool as fuck till it crashed my browser window.
Sorry, I've been learning as I go, so the code is almost as janky as the model. It's just nice to hear it worked for someone. I wanted to make it small, and with Godot it's only 31mb.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Pretty dang cool.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

syntax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:19 amPretty dang cool.
I gotta thank you again. Nightmare being able to export an Access db allowed me to convert it to SQLite, which allowed me to read from it in Godot.

All the white cubes are blobs of room data being read from the SQLite db. Next up would be defining zones, and figuring out how to align it with redesigned areas like sewer cave worm.
I'm not an artist, though I did enjoy blocking out the cities and buildings. When it comes to natural or random, I hate it.
Modeling all 26.7k rooms feels impossible. When you realize there are only 1,754 unique room names it feels semi-possible.
Approach it procedurally and it feels inevitable. Define a tileset for the zone, then read keywords from the name/description.
Of course it won't be that simple, but that's the long term plan.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Ohh going thru the DB can be a nightmare, esp when trying to standardize the code. I remember when I tried to use mud data for my mud game I was pulling my hair out cause of all the weird edge cases.

Rothchild

Post by Rothchild »

BearFather wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:05 am Ohh going thru the DB can be a nightmare, esp when trying to standardize the code. I remember when I tried to use mud data for my mud game I was pulling my hair out cause of all the weird edge cases.
Working with the db is the one area I feel confident. I have a bit of SQL experience from running an old forum and contributing to a WoW server emulator db. I've gone through a few of the tables renaming fields and deleting unused fields.

I can relate to the hair pulling from trying make the realm 3D. It was either tedious or frustrating. Alcohol really helped me get as far as I did, and I'm really trying to keep alcohol to Friday nights only.

My goal has been to visualize the realm. I want to be as accurate as possible, while making it make sense in 3D. For a game you don't need to redesign cave worm since it's underground and you can't see the world as it relates to that cave.

My wife supported the project. It was a neat map that made good desktop backgrounds. It was when we were standing together on a Silvermere rooftop and I could point out distant locations, that's where you ran me to kill raks when I was a newbie, that's the pyramid where you fell asleep just before we got to the Pharaoh, then she was like "holy shit". I want to help keep the realm alive, like Syntax and Jiggs Longthorne did for me. I don't care about it being a game, I want it to be an experience.

It's a fan project that I have no intention of trying to profit from. My dream is a casual co-op exploration game, but there's no reason someone else couldn't use it to make a hardcore PvP game. Imagine if multiple people were detailing different parts of the realm and sharing amongst each other. Many hands make light work. I seriously doubt any of that will happen, but it's fun to dream.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

The dream has kept my board afloat