user keys not working

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
iofhua

user keys not working

Post by iofhua »

I'm working on my board again.

I started over from scratch. Everything's going okay until I try to test it out with a test user. I have MajorMUD linked to the main menu with the "M" key. My Sysop account can get into MajorMUD, but it tells my test user "Sorry but you don't have access to the "M" option."

New users are being given the USER class. The USER class has the DEMO and NORMAL keys on its keyring. When I run wgsrunmt.exe I made sure that all the relevant menu items (including MajorMUD) required the NORMAL key so users could access them, except the admin stuff that requires the SYSOP key.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The menu item for MajorMUD needs the key that the USER class has on it's keyring, but it's acting like it doesn't.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

iofhua

Re: user keys not working

Post by iofhua »

Instead of setting keys for everything a base level user would access I just removed those key requirements entirely. So the only stuff that requires a key is stuff the sysop account would need.

It works now.

I still don't know why the "normal" key isn't working as expected though.

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

Now I'm having the same problem in Security & Accounting for the entries PLAYKEY, SAVEKEY, and such under WCCMMUD.

I tried the NORMAL key and that didn't work. I gave the USER class a new key called MUD and changed all the relevant entries in Security & Accounting to MUD and I still couldn't get in with my test account.

Now when I add or edit keys I'm using the remote sysop menu on the BBS when I log in to the sysop account. Is there a better way to manage keys? Maybe using a wizard or utility on the Windows machine running Worldgroup?

I suppose I could do the same thing I did before and just remove all the key entries needed for normal users to play MajorMUD from Security & Accounting but that seems like a bad workaround - like I'm not fixing a bigger problem or I'm leaving a door open.

Anyone run into this before?

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

do you have dialsoft control installed?

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

Yes I do have Dialsoft installed. Is there a setting I have to change in there?

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

I poked around in Dialsoft and didn't see anything that would limit the user class. But it has a lot of screens and I might be missing something. All I want it for is to limit connections per IP address. I want everyone to have 2 accounts.

But I've been thinking and I remember when I was first doing the initial Worldgroup setup there was an option for what type of BBS it would be and I had it set to something like "Public - all users are equal except SYSOP" would that have caused this?

I've tried running the packaging utility again to see if I could get to that screen and it won't come back up. I'd like to try setting it to a different option and see if that helps.

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

I cleared the playkey and savekey for majormud under security and accounting. My test account can log in and enter the game now.

I also got sys goto working using a WCCMUD.ini file with blank entries for sys goto and sys map. The other sys powers have keys and users can't use other stuff like sys lightning.

I think its working okay right now. But it's odd I couldn't get the keys to work like they're supposed to.

This would be a problem if I had tiered accounts like demo, standard users, premium, stuff like that. But I'm not. Everyone will be the same except the SYSOP so I think it will work okay the way it is.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

IF you aren't using dialsoft control v5.62 it breaks the keyrings of standard users. You can try what this person says here: viewtopic.php?p=1802#p1802

... but my recollection is anything other than 5.62 is just broken.

iofhua

Post by iofhua »

I have Dialsoft 4.0 so that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know.

I think I will keep using it because I just want something to control IP dupes and it should be doing that, and I have worked around the key issues.

The NOMUD and GIDIOT keys don't work, but I just tested out Dialsoft's user lock function and I can can perform temp bans and permabans for bad behavior so I will just use that.