Ideas for changes to PVE Mudrev - Suggestion/Discussion thread

Discussion relating specifically to the popular MudRev dats.
cuckoorules

Ideas for changes to PVE Mudrev - Suggestion/Discussion thread

Post by cuckoorules »

I've been running a PVE MudRev realm for an extremely long time and have made a ton of tweaks and modifications to try to streamline everything more for PVE. I'm hoping to do a relatively significant update patch in the coming weeks/months and would like to ask for feedback from anyone who wants to help. However, for the most part I have used a very conservative approach and retained the original functionality of almost everything and have just tried to eliminate bugs and improve the experience.

My primary areas of focus are:

Rebalancing Races (some are extremely OP and others are useless and bad)
Making irrelevant classes more purposeful/unique (Gypsies, Bards, Samurai, Ninjas)
Fixing Chain gear
Filling in gaps where particular classes have not great options
Updating bad items to be somehow useful
Creating more end game content for satisfaction upon completion(Venshire shops and filling in some areas I created for a large end-game quest)

Of course, I welcome all ideas and mostly want to get more people involved in the discussions as to what should be changed and why

You can find my realm at bbs.bearfather.net (Option R from the menu.. there are 3 realms on this BBS)
My latest MME dat file is located at http://bearfather.net/files2/ under the Brad's Mud section. (also just had to make a change so available at https://ufile.io/2362r)

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to make suggestions or compile lists of useless items, etc.
Last edited by cuckoorules on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morrighan

Re: Ideas for changes to PVE Mudrev - Suggestion/Discussion thread

Post by Morrighan »

1)Ethereal silk gear could use a set of Ethereal Silk Robes.

2)As per discussed in the realm and upgraded version of Tabard of Negation for higher levels with the ability to diffuse death gaze and add +rfir
Possible add +rfir to some of the Magus/Magnus gear

3)Create new gear to stock the shops with for those who are to darn lazy to go for the boss drops yet the gear won't be as great or add in the gear that needs to be made and add a high price tag such as 1000 mithril for Ethereal Silk Robes.

Joker

Post by Joker »

cuckoorules wrote: Rebalancing Races (some are extremely OP and others are useless and bad)
You don't really need to "balance" races/classes in a PVE realm, as they won't be going head-to-head in battle. You just need to give every class/race a Purpose! For example, nobody will ever be a thief unless there is a door/trap somewhere that only a Thief can pick. Why be a thief if a ninja can pick the lock? It's this reason that I never offer GJR's in my realms. I don't want HOGs to be able to see in the dark by simply using a finger slot. If you're benefitting from a Half-Ogres massive hit points, then there must be a downside.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

Joker wrote:
cuckoorules wrote: Rebalancing Races (some are extremely OP and others are useless and bad)
You don't really need to "balance" races/classes in a PVE realm, as they won't be going head-to-head in battle. You just need to give every class/race a Purpose! For example, nobody will ever be a thief unless there is a door/trap somewhere that only a Thief can pick. Why be a thief if a ninja can pick the lock? It's this reason that I never offer GJR's in my realms. I don't want HOGs to be able to see in the dark by simply using a finger slot. If you're benefitting from a Half-Ogres massive hit points, then there must be a downside.
That's basically what I mean. Some of them have neat abilities at lower levels but it's pretty much an agreed upon fact that Dragonkins are hands down the best race for end-game. Of course, not everyone is focused on max level chars and maybe being a Wood-Elf to get meditate at level 1 is cool, but quite frankly the lack of important end-game stat caps and the fact that any caster can get meditate at like level 30 or whatever makes it kind of pointless. And that's one of the more useful ones. Part of the reason for Dragonkins being amazing is their overall stats, but they also get +1 HP/lvl and have a bonus to rfir, which practically every end-game boss/monster uses the fire element. So, ultimately they end up being the best even for caster classes, which is not very intuitive at lower levels. Arguably this is a design flaw in the end-game content. Comparing to diablo2, fire generally is the highest damage element so maybe that was their line of thinking but it just seems bad to have one element be over-used. Would be neat to maybe have a race with the Freedom ability or something (not sure if that actually works).

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Well you could change the high mobs to use things like cold,lit,water,stone, and poison.