Wtf is... Project Orion?

The quest to make MegaMUD suck less.
apathy

Wtf is... Project Orion?

Post by apathy »

This project is an ongoing development effort to integrate megamud's information (read: .MD and .MP files) into the NMR + MME stack developed by syntax.

The project's homepage is here: https://github.com/RJCo/MegaMudMDUpdating

The general idea, though we're still fleshing out the API and functionality, is to allow users of NMR and/or MME to be able to use the access they have to the dats for modified MajorMUD installs to programmatically update the .md and .mp files that MegaMud uses. This will allow players of editted MajorMud realms to have "clean" MegaMud installs with the full catalog of items, races, classes, etc.

The project is first focusing on the lowest hanging fruit to get to the community ASAP: Classes, Races, Items, Spells (potentially), and Monsters. Room and Messages will come later, and Paths are a lofty goal that may or may not be realized before development on MudBot takes over.

We'll do our best to keep people updated as to our intentions and progress, but if you have any questions, please ask here!

BearFather

Re: Wtf is... Project Orion?

Post by BearFather »

Very interesting, this is much needed. Is this a current project or and old one dug up?

apathy

Post by apathy »

BearFather wrote:Very interesting, this is much needed. Is this a current project or and old one dug up?
Current. A few of us decided it was time for this to happen, and we're all excited about doing it at the same time, so it's actually being actively worked on :) When there's anything close to useful, we'll update here to let people help alpha/beta it

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I take it this is a "C" program. Unfortunately I haven't dived into this language yet. I need to learn it, time to go pick up a box and maybe I can get it down before you ask for help on it.

apathy

Post by apathy »

We're developing it in C#, actually. No reason to get down and dirty with C in 2016 unless you really need to!

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I want to learn it to add it to my list of languages. I tried c# before and no some of the basics but never got too far into it, I ended up switching over to java cause it was getting popular and base to android.

lucid2310

Post by lucid2310 »

If you guys need any help just let me know, I have a lot of experience with C#.

apathy

Post by apathy »

lucid2310 wrote:If you guys need any help just let me know, I have a lot of experience with C#.
Will do. I've gotten a few emails from people, but I just started a new job this week, so I've been a mess and haven't touched anything in more than a week. So, sorry for the delays, everyone! We'll get something out soon(tm)

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

Just bumping this thread to show that I'm still interested, however I've never programmed in C#. It looks a lot like java though. Would be willing to help in any way I can if it would motivate anyone else to get this project moving again.

henry3215

Post by henry3215 »

Any progress in the last year? Well almost a year that is.

Lats stamp is this>
Need to figure out overall database structure and what changes when fields are added. See the parsing directory for current work done
Still seems like a lot has t be done, are you stuck?