Wooden Box - Pastor Lander

General MajorMUD Discussion
Corvette

Wooden Box - Pastor Lander

Post by Corvette »

When opening this box, on the line that I would assume might be the armour. Upon opening it I get the line "Nothing". Is there something that needs to be performed to get the robes or the alternate items?

mikey

Re: Wooden Box - Pastor Lander

Post by mikey »

It might be because the box is class restricted for giving out items. I think a priest needs to open the box to get anything from it. You can look it up with MajorMUD Explorer. Find "wooden box" under the sundry tab and click through to get to the texblock(s) for it and it will tell you all about what the chest does and any restriction(s) it has. You can get MajorMUD Explorer here: http://www.mudinfo.net/viewforum.php?f=34

Corvette

Post by Corvette »

Tried with a paladin. Level 50 and good aligned. Still got this:
You open the oak chest, and find...
Some coins!
Nothing.

sigma

Post by sigma »

Looking at the textblock in MME (which is an excellent tool that you should look into), if the wooden box is opened by any character that's one of the 4 divine-magic classes (Paly, Priest, Missy, or Cleric) of any level and any alignment, they get a bunch of coins (?) plus one randomly determined 50/50 shot at either getting nothing else at all, period, or getting exactly 3 items randomly generated from the following weighted list:

5% chance for Golden Sun Robes, or if they're already out, a morningstar ring in its place.
20% chance of getting that same MSR straight away.
25% chance of getting a Holy Miter.
50% chance of getting Holy Vestments.

After that, Priests specifically are also given certain spell scrolls based on their level regardless of anything else.

Long story short, getting the robes is a crapshoot every time you open the box-- only requirement to have a chance at getting them is that you be one of the four divine magic classes (listed above), and that the robes haven't already been collected... level and alignment don't appear to matter.... though if I understand correctly, being at 40+ evil points means you'll constantly be zapped with lightning damage just for being in the room.

Corvette

Post by Corvette »

Ok, thanks. Will just have to keep trying then.

Corvette

Post by Corvette »

Anyone happen to know the regen time of the wooden box?

Zero

Post by Zero »

once per day at cleanup

Corvette

Post by Corvette »

Thanks

sigma

Post by sigma »

It's technically every time the board is started up even if no actual cleanup routine happens. There isn't a hard-coded number of hours that have to go by for it to appear again either. Makes a difference if the board you're playing on cleans up at a rate other than once every 24 hours.

FTR, the Alder Chest in the Hidden Keep in Darkwood Forest, Wererat Apparatus, Night Hag's Cauldron, and the four Crimson Chests in the Crimson Fort all work the same way. Might be others too, but those are just off the top of my head.

Main reason I know this is I did play on a board once that ran a cleanup every 8 hours due to some sorta bug where monster regen kept dying off (making scripting worthless), so they set up 3 cleanups per day (every 8 hours, which meant 3 chances at everything per day). I've also force-spawned them myself on my own private board... i.e. start up board, log in, grab/open box/chest, log out, shut down board, start up board, grab box/chest, and so on.