How to get MajorMUD Explorer working in Linux using Wine

Questions, suggestions, ideas, and/or comments on MajorMUD Explorer.
Keldorn

How to get MajorMUD Explorer working in Linux using Wine

Post by Keldorn »

I've been pulling my beard hairs out for several weeks trying to figure out how to get MajorMUD Explorer to work in Linux under Wine. Thankfully, I have a friend who is a Linux guru and he pointed me in the right direction.

Out of the box, MajorMUD Explorer installs fine using the Wine Windows Program Loader, but when you load the program, it gives an error while loading the database "Runtime Error 429 in [OpenDatabase] - ActiveX Component Can't Create Object".

The solution is to install winetricks jet40.

You will be prompted to download Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.7 Service Pack 1 (mdactype.exe) and put it in your "/home/jason/.cache/winetricks/mdac27" directory, and then to re-run the script.

After re-running the script, MajorMUD Explorer will load up the database correctly. Hope this helps someone!

-Keldorn

syntax
Site Admin

Re: How to get MajorMUD Explorer working in Linux using Wine

Post by syntax »

Thanks for posting this!

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

just to let ya know is no good for a 64 bit tryed downloading got message 64 bit not supported for the mdac :(
did try this:

To run Database Designer for PostgreSQL on your non-Windows box under Wine you should use at least:
§ Wine 1.0.1
§ Winetricks version 20091022.

Database Designer for PostgreSQL uses GDI+ library in the work. To install appropriate files please use the command:

$sh winetricks gdiplus

Since Database Designer for PostgreSQL uses Microsoft Data Access Components for its Universal and MS Access Database Reverse Engineering appropriate redistributable runtime libraries should be installed:

$sh winetricks jet40 mdac28

jet40 - MS Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8

mdac28 - MS MDAC 2.8: Microsoft ODBC drivers, etc.

tip Database Designer for PostgreSQL will function normally even without these runtime libraries: only Universal and MS Access Database Reverse Engineering functions will be disabled.

After this application already can be used with its full functionality. However, fonts used in Designer appear ridged. To fix this install Microsoft Core Fonts (Arial, Courier, Times etc.), but make sure cabextract utility is present in the system.

$sh winetricks corefonts

got this in terminal:

ou are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
------------------------------------------------------
Executing w_do_call jet40
Executing load_jet40
Executing w_do_call mdac27
Executing load_mdac27
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture.

Keldorn

Post by Keldorn »

Bloodrock,

Obviously it worked for me, but I'm running the 32-bit edition of LXLE 14.04.

Which 64-bit distro are you using? I will see if I can't tinker with it and get it working.

-Keldorn

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

using lubuntu 15.10 64 bit but its the mdac file from microsoft that is the prob

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

i'm gonna try putting a lubuntu 32 bit on my other comp it a 64 bit but think i can install a 32 bit os on it i wanna see if with the jet 40 and mdac addition will allow wg to run if so my bbs is going to be running in linux something i have wanted for years

Keldorn

Post by Keldorn »

From what I was reading, you should be able to create a 32-bit wineprefix. Wine can run both in 64 and 32 bit so you gotta create the 32 bit prefix and install there. I will try it out and post some better instructions when I get a chance.

-Keldorn

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

finally got mud explorer working on a 64bit heres what i did first made sure i had wine:i386 and wine:i386 bin then did this mv ~/.wine/ ~/oldwine/ then this WINEARCH=win32 winecfg then got the needed dll things via winetricks
jet40 the mdac27