Current Status / Discussion

The quest to make MegaMUD suck less.
apathy

Current Status / Discussion

Post by apathy »

So I finally got to a point where I can spend time on this again -- the new job has calmed down, I rearranged stuff at home, blah blah excuses :) I spent some hours over the weekend relearning what I was doing and making some progress. Some of it is checked in to GitHub, but there's a lot of local-only committed code.

I didn't plan this very well, and something I didn't think about before this weekend was how we're going to actually use this. There definitely needs to be some sort of API for Syntax to use with NMR/MME so we can move data around, but beyond that, what should there be? A way to export the data to various formats (e.g. Excel)? Exporting of SQL schema/data?

And the code itself is infuriating me. I know I wrote, and only a few months ago, but it's FUCKING UGLY. But for now, it works, so I'm not worrying about it. But god damn.

I guess that's it. Just bitching a bit and letting people know I'm working on this again. Only thing left to figure out if how to write to the MD files, but I'm pretty close on that -- just want to get the code for the other shit done first, then I'll finalize the file header figured out (records are all done) and we can start using this for something...

#LiveJournal.

syntax
Site Admin

Re: Current Status / Discussion

Post by syntax »

I don't see any reason to export to excel or anything like that. That access databases that NMR creates (for MME and for importing/exporting) can already be exported from that to excel or what-have-you. I think the biggest thing is just getting the data from either NMR or MME to MegaMUD so you don't have to manually create all the spells, items, classes, races, monsters, etc. Ideally it would be function (I'm thinking of MME) that exports all the data to the individual .md files. Then you just drop those .md files into your MegaMUD\BBS\<bbs name> folder and voila.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I would think nightmare be the better option to add to instead of MME, main reason is MME doesn't have all the info like nightmare does. If an item not set to drop or sell MME doesn't included it. Which I like cause I can hide speacial items from players.

apathy

Post by apathy »

FYI, I've been cranking away on this. Still haven't gotten it working fully, but getting closer and closer! I guess this is just a "I've been quiet, but this time I've been quiet AND progressing" message :)

Syntax: I'll hit you up over text/chat soon -- we should schedule a time for a quick chat to hash out an API for you to use with MME/NMR.

Spud

Post by Spud »

apathy wrote:FYI, I've been cranking away on this. Still haven't gotten it working fully, but getting closer and closer! I guess this is just a "I've been quiet, but this time I've been quiet AND progressing" message :)

Syntax: I'll hit you up over text/chat soon -- we should schedule a time for a quick chat to hash out an API for you to use with MME/NMR.
Just wanted to check if this is still WIP ? :D

msdss

Post by msdss »

Guessing this project is dead... ?

Sentinal

Post by Sentinal »

Considering that you are the only ones who have the source code, fixing MegaMUD should have been simple. This is a text game. What was the problem that you ran into?

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Sentinal wrote:Considering that you are the only ones who have the source code, fixing MegaMUD should have been simple. This is a text game. What was the problem that you ran into?
It is coded in vanilla C and and not compile-able in anything even remotely recent. Apathy has been working recently on re-coding some of it to make it compatible.

Sentinal

Post by Sentinal »

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Sentinal

Post by Sentinal »

I don't know if you've already got something like this in the works, but I had a thought...

One of the shortcomings in MegaMUD is knowing that you don't need swamp boots since you have green dragon boots. So, it got me thinking about a solution- perhaps there could be a checklist on the character on the database side:

Swamp Relief
Sun Relief
Heat Relief

And all items that provide some kind of relief (waterskin, magma amulet, trollskin boots, phoenix feather) etc... could add a check to any of the Relief boxes once the item is added into your inventory (waterskin) or equipped (green dragon boots). Then, MegaMUD could send a query to see if you have Swamp Relief when you tell it to head off to the Black Dragon. If the query comes back "TRUE" then it will proceed. If it comes back "FALSE", then it can either divert to the shop to grab swamp boots, or simply send a message to the player.