MudRev bugs

Discussion relating specifically to the popular MudRev dats.
syntax
Site Admin

MudRev bugs

Post by syntax »

Name lady of nazareen (1172)
Experience 2,352,000
Regen Time 1 hour(s)

Regens ...
Room: Castle of Nazareen, Guard Tower (1/6024)
Room: Castle of Nazareen, Guard Tower (1/6033)
Room: Castle of Nazareen, Guard Tower (1/6039)
Room: Castle of Nazareen, Guard Tower (1/6043)

... by default she gives a ton of exp and drops many runic and insta respawns (possibly because assigned as an NPC in 4 different rooms?). Either remove her as assigned NPC and assign her to some kind of room group/index or just lower her exp to make it not worthwhile.

cuckoorules

Re: MudRev bugs

Post by cuckoorules »

I fixed the lady of nazareen issue on my realm because somebody was using the alignment bot in combination with her to gain obscene amounts of experience at a low level. On a realm with no easy way to quickly lose EPs, this would only be abuse-able for a short period of time. I believe I just made four separate copies that are 1 hour regen, so you can still kill them but they no longer instantly regenerate.

Off the top of my head, other bugs include:

ruby-encrusted bracer use spell message causes realm to crash because people can't write proper message syntaxes
trap in area by kon'fehr captain causes realm to crash (I think also because of a poorly written message)

Several of the MudRev quests are repeatable daily because they utilize quest flags in the 200s which remove from the player upon cleanup every day. Most of these are written in such a manner that the player would have to be smart enough to read the textblocks and re-sell the quest reward items as I believe there are some checks in the textblocks to abort if the player already has the reward item, etc.

The black soul underneath level 100 trainer has no exit room assigned, meaning that if a player manages to get there with no way to recall or retrain, they are effectively stuck in that room unless they suicide. I doubt this was by design.

The up from the skald level 80 quest halls goes to the down for the level 80 bard halls. The maps are linked up incorrectly. The Darken Castle southern exit to Venshire also has a weird map glitch that causes sys map to look funky. Easy to fix it you look at the map.

Quest Knights have two versions that spawn (1179, 1180) but both are set to only be guarded by one rather than both. Not sure if this is a bug, but I changed it as they seem to have been designed to intentionally protect each other every time you re-attack.

Lots of monsters/items have typos and drop items 0% or are guarded by monsters that don't spawn in the area they exist in. This isn't really a bug but it makes the data look really ugly when browsing.

Shops that don't exist in the realm show in MME dats because they exist in inaccessible areas of the realm that just so happen to have utilized the same shop numbers as mudrev, which confuses players because they cannot figure out how to access the shops (because they cant). Remove these.

Demonic Intervention spell says is AffectsUndeadOnly, but this flag does not appear to function correctly on roomspells and therefore this is misleading, as it actually works on all monsters. Misleading to players.

In some copies of MudRev, the Crystal Forest area will crash the realm. There are two copies of this area in the dats using different map numbers. I believe I had to re-link mine up with the second copy. Don't leave the NPC (or probably the monsters) in the first area because the max monsters per area may cause regen to die in addition to the NPC being able to spawn off the accessible map.

Dark Monstrosity, Dark High Priest, wererat general have spawn rooms in inaccessible rooms. They sometimes spawn in these areas and won't respawn properly until somebody notices. These extra spawn rooms should be removed.

I think the textblock for purchasing crafting armour at Philigree is broken/missing for at least one item. It may not have been Philigree, but definitely at least one of the crafting textblocks was non-functional.

Gold jeweled ring is configured to use a .TXT file for the description which my realm did not have, so it generates internal system error emails to the sysop whenever players look at the item. Most of the ganghouses were a similar situation, so if you plan on re-adding ganghouses like I did you will need to address all of this.

sparkling golden gauntlets destroy after uses. stupid.

Made illumination spell not use light balls. Because they are stupid. Not really a bug, but who the hell wants to deal with that crap. Seriously.

Brooch of safety should be usable without having to equip it. Annoying to have to constantly swap gear to recall on non-casters. Again, not really a bug... but why?

I think there's something wrong with the spell on Sensei's Cloak because I have a note that I fixed it at some point, but it's unclear at this moment what was broken about it.

storm/blue druids have no lair rooms and drop items for end-game crafting.... lol good luck!

lunar beam endcast spell is broken

mystic totems exist but have no purpose. Remove them.

If you recall out of the Darken Beast Lord's room after having done the portion of Helvectus' binding quest (when your firestone lights up and causes -9999 stealth), you are stuck with no stealth until you walk back to the entrance to the cave and exit to remove the "blazing firestone" spell. I fixed this by adding a killspell on the recall spells but a simpler solution for some less fancy editors might be to just apply post spells on common rooms like portal, TS, bank, HOD, etc so that it will get fixed relatively quickly from a player just walking around.

For the Lord of the Sea (Poseidon) quest, the 3rd room which you insert a key into is actually broken and doesn't require the key, so players don't have to even kill all 3 mini-bosses. Fix it.

However, now that I've made this public knowledge, maybe more people will realize how many very serious bugs i've fixed on mudrev and come play my realm instead of some of these others half-baked solutions :). Maybe some day, I'll come play someone elses just to torment them with my infinite knowledge of how to crash and cheat their realm! Hooray! Best of wishes. If anyone has questions regarding any of this, you can try to contact me but I recommend doing so via my Facebook group for my realm (Esoteric Edits BBS) or simply logging onto my realm and gossiping for me (esoteric-edits.ddns.net).

I am sure I missed a million other things i've fixed, but here were some I was able to quickly throw together.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Awesome list, thanks for posting this.

virucizer

Post by virucizer »

cuckoorules wrote:
I think the textblock for purchasing crafting armour at Philigree is broken/missing for at least one item. It may not have been Philigree, but definitely at least one of the crafting textblocks was non-functional.
Several of the crafted armor blocks are broken on almost every mudrev. For example, Berserker's Plate Boots cannot be created on your bbs as of 2/1/2015.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

virucizer wrote:
cuckoorules wrote:
Several of the crafted armor blocks are broken on almost every mudrev. For example, Berserker's Plate Boots cannot be created on your bbs as of 2/1/2015.
Wow! Just looked at the textblock and it gives you Tattered Silk Boots instead hahahah!! Nice catch. Will add this to my list of things to fix. Thanks.