Tweaks & suggestions

Moderator: BearFather

goodriddance

Tweaks & suggestions

Post by goodriddance »

I thought I'd start a more general tweaks thread for minor things here & there that folks notice. Pieces of gear that have become obsolete because of subsequent edits, balance issues, or bugs that have a substantial effect.

One general point: I really don't intend for this to be a license to whine. Bear's done awesome work making a really sweet edited MajorMUD, and there's no reason to give him a hard time. Let's keep it focused on ideas & suggestions for improvement in future mods, etc.

I'll start with one gear tweak suggestion:

We have two lvl 70 shields:

Drider skin shield: All combat classes, 10/2 ac, 150 encumbrance
Drow mesh shield: Chainmail, 8/1 ac, -2 accuracy, 350 encumbrance

Seems like drow mesh should have an advantage over drider skin, otherwise no toon would ever wear it! Also, drider skin seems a bit overpowered for a natural/leather shield doesn't it?

Suggestion: make drow mesh the stronger of the two by flipping their ACs. Maybe even nerf drider skin to 5/1 instead of 10/2.

Cheers!

BearFather

Re: Tweaks & suggestions

Post by BearFather »

I love the idea of this post. Cause so many items get forgotten after new ones. We do have a new mod in the works, and I will work on doing some of these tweaks for that mod.

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

Awesome, glad you endorse!

The other main thing I've noticed so far is that the +50 spell dam on the magic crystal studded helm is SUCH a glorious bonus for all the high lvl weapons that do most of their damage from spell procs. (And probably druids, who get a big ass bonus to their spells eh?) I love it!

What about opening it up to ninjas, who are combat based but can't wear leather? I think the simplest thing would be to add that to a ninja-only worn item. The rationale: if you made it part of the silk sets, all the spellcasters would get a huge (unfair?) damage boost. But without it, ninjas will always be weaker than other melee classes where this helm is an option. (I even know some warriors/paladins who still wear this leather helm just for that bonus...)

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

Another one many of us noticed this past few weeks:

Severed head of Baenre can only drop once per char and needs to be turned in for the ion stone quest. (mana+75, sc+40, maxdam+2). But it's an awesome worn item (basically, upgraded Goru and orc warlord mixed together) that many chars would love to wear! Also, god forbid you drop it & it gets deleted at cleanup - you can never get it again or finish your quest.

My suggestion: change Baenre head to a regular 100% drop OR make it drop for everyone every time, without checking quest flags.

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

Just noticed that the way cool deathtouch healing spells that work so nicely between combat rounds currently don't trigger combat engagement. Makes it really nice for grabbing a quick heal from your party leader, but would probably have some unintended PVP consequences, avoiding evil points & breaking the level difference limits on PVP...

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

Got another one for ya, Bear:

Ogre skin cloak is a *very* nice combat oriented cloak:
HP+100, BSmin/max +30/+40, MaxDam+5 etc

It is also the only leather-restricted cloak in any of your edits (and indeed one of only 3 in the game)! Seems cruel to prevent combat silk wearers (ahem, ninjas) from getting the damage, HP and BS damage that all the leather wearing sneakers/backstabbers get.

Solution: make ogre skin cloak silk/natural!

Or if keeping this away from mystics was intentional, make a comparable ninja-only lvl 100 cloak? (Item suggestion: make an Erevis Cale's cloak w/comparable BS, HP and max damage bonuses; maybe also dodge...)

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

You left I guess before we discussed this, I did change it to natural armour.

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

hey! i got another for ya: the level 90 armor spells (shadow shell 1, shadow shell 2) are a big downgrade from the lvl 70 armor spells if you get them at or near level 90.

shadow shell1 @90: heal mana +0 to +5, 50 rounds
shadow shell2 @90: heal hp +2 to +15, 50 rounds

versus, for instance, drow mesh:

drow meshc @90: heal +15 to +20, 50 rounds
drow meshm @90: heal +7 to +10, 50 rounds

I guess by level 120 they catch up, but they should probably start where the lvl 70 armor leaves off right? Maybe use the same formula but have a higher level cap? Otherwise folks will be sad to get a downgrade on their sets after spending a few astral diamonds and battling princes!

goodriddance

Post by goodriddance »

One of the priest socketed spells is completely worthless:

God's tears: heal 660-1275, cost 230 mana, difficulty -150
Celestial's breath: heal 1200-1375, cost 225 mana, difficulty -175

Which would you use? Both are at the same level and given by the socketed staff. Cebr, obviously, right?? God's tears have got to go :).

Suggestion: replace gtea with a room spell. Currently priests don't get one after shadow blast! Obviously should be less powerful than the corresponding mage/druid versions as priests are not as combat oriented, but maybe ranger/gypsy/warlock strength?

As a fan of original Diablo, I would suggest the name Apocalypse. Room spell, 800-1800 damage (like acid fog).

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

For the armour:
Yeah that's how it should be, weapons are the same. They are not as good at the first level you get them, but few levels in they get better.

For spells:
Look at the buffs, tears has some nice combat pluses. Where breath is mostly healing. With said I noticed tears buff was only 1 rnd, will fix in next update.