Small Quest Changes

New and Modified Areas, Spells, Monsters, etc created by users. Importable via Nightmare.
Zero

Small Quest Changes

Post by Zero »

Author: Harvester
Created: 3/23/2014
Base Mud Version: v1.11p
Description--
I made a collection of changes to stock quests in the game, making it easier to complete them and fixing some strange format and structuring. This includes the apparatus not being cleared on completion, improvements to the 2nd alignment and chalice quests, and removing restrictions on entering the portal to Zanthalus.

In the code section below, I have pasted the contents of the readme.txt file.

Code: Select all

OVERVIEW:
Some quests in the game make you scratch your head at the reasoning behind how they work. This collection of addons will make small changes improving quality of life and better gameplay. Each Fix is packaged on it's own, so below I will explain them seperately.

DISCLAIMER:
I went with database numbers available to a stock realm (listed below). These numbers may conflict with other addons/edits(though not my other released addons), so PLEASE CHECK BEFORE IMPORTING, because you do so at your own risk. I welcome any feedback. Best place will be the thread I created in the mudinfo.net forums.

APPARATUS FIX

KEY INFO:
Apparatus no longer clears itself from room when destroyed. Removed old code that was used when experience was increased. Moved messages used in old code to new one, so it now states the user has completed the quest and gained 5 million exp.

TESTING: 
Fully tested to work only once per character, but for multiple characters/day.

DATABASE CHANGES:

TEXTBLOCKS:
858 \\ changed room commands in arcane laboratory

POSSIBLE EXPLOITS:
Can't think of any.

2nd QUEST AND CHALICE

KEY INFO:
Added new deathspells to goru/beholder/woodelf lord, which work similarly to the ones on 3rd quest monsters. If a user is on the step where they could use an item, and they don't have one in inventory, then they will be given one. For hellion, if you haven't given chalice to bishop and don't have one, you will recieve one. Combat is not required, only being in the room.  All items drops are still stock, as well.

EXAMPLE 1: 
PlayerA has done 1st evil quest, but no more. They go sit in woodelf lord's room, and eventually PlayerB, who has quested neutral, comes and kills the lord. PlayerA will recieve a head from deathspell, PlayerB will not(though lord will drop his like normal). PlayerC who has finished 2nd evil quest comes along later and kills lord, PlayerC will not recieve a head from deathspell, and since PlayerA has one in inventory he will not either.

EXAMPLE 2: 
A full group of players, who have all yet to do bishop's quest, go down to black fort and fight COB/hellion. Hellion's deathspell will fire when he's killed, and everyone in the room not currently carrying a chalice will recieve one.

TESTING: 
Fully tested bosses for each ability flag, attacking or just in the room, and with or without the item in inventory.

DATABASE CHANGES:

TEXTBLOCKS:
2396 - 2399 \\ one per boss, executed from deathspells

3999 \\ shows when an item is given, to both the user and to rest of the room

SPELLS:
1400 - 1407 \\ two per boss, first endcasts to second, which executes textblock

MONSTERS:
311 - goru \\ changed deathspell
314 - beholder \\ added deathspell
292 - woodelf lord \\ added deathspell
181 - greater hellion \\ added deathspell

POSSIBLE EXPLOITS:
If you have any of these items available in a shop, players could stay at correct quest step, and drop the item before killing boss to farm and sell. To counter, remove from shop, or drop the cost using item editor.

ZANTH FIX

KEY INFO: 
One try. In stock muds, that's all you get at fighting Zanth, and if he happened to be killed earlier in the day, you don't even get that. With this fix, you can go through the portal as many times as you like, but like in a stock realm can only get the bonus experience for killing him once, and only if you haven't turned in your 5th quest yet. 

TESTING:
All three alignments tested, and still able to turn in quest after either a dark mage or zanthalus kill. Zanthalus was also tested to grant the bonus exp correctly if the user has not turned in quest after dark mage.

DATABASE CHANGES:

TEXTBLOCKS
9537 - Dark Mage deathspell \\ changed giveability commands to give the numbers the portal used to upon entering 
9547 - Zanthalus deathspell \\ moved alignment checks to beginning, instead of middle, so it will not execute the giveability command without giving exp
9649 - room commands to enter portal \\ removed checkability and giveability from each possible command

POSSIBLE EXPLOITS:
Zanth exp is EXTREMELY high for being 24hr regen, but he is the last boss in the game. Counter by lowering the exp and/or increasing the regen time.

DISCLAIMER:
I went with database numbers available to a stock realm (listed above). These numbers may conflict with other addons/edits(though not my other released addons), so PLEASE CHECK BEFORE IMPORTING, because you do so at your own risk. I welcome any feedback, best place will be the thread I created in the mudinfo.net forums.

While everything is included in the archive, the changes are in separate folders, so you can install only what you want. Please leave any feedback if you try it out.
Attachments
SmallQuestChanges.zip
(166.4 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Last edited by Zero on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msdss

Re: Addon: Small Quest Changes

Post by msdss »

So as long as the database entries have not been modified previously, this will just modify those entries and not add any new ones?

If that is the case then this would be a pretty amazing mod.

Zero

Re: Addon: Small Quest Changes

Post by Zero »

The apparatus and zanth fixes both only modify existing stock database entries. If any custom edits were already done to those entries, however, they would be lost. (for example, if you boosted quest experience(apparatus, dark mage kill, zanth kill), you'd have to re-edit the new number back in) There's also the potential with the zanth one, since it's part of alignment chain, for any new edits involving the checkabilities might need to be modified. However, that'd be an incredibly rare scenario, and if you aren't sure this applies to you, it almost definitely doesn't.

The 2nd quest and chalice changes modify stock entries on the four different monsters involved. However, it also adds one new message, four new textblocks, and eight new spells to the database. These are required for it to work. If imported, they will overwrite any previously edited entries if they used the same number. All the numbers are listed in the readme.txt (which is pasted in the code section above) so you can always open up nmr to check all the numbers and make sure there's no conflict.

syntax
Site Admin

Re: Small Quest Changes

Post by syntax »

moved to new forum. bumping to top.

Zero

Re: Small Quest Changes

Post by Zero »

I've been asked to make a version that's compatible with increased quest experience. However, it's not really feasible since the exp will vary depending on the boost the sysop implements. So instead, I'm highlighting the textblocks that need to be edited manually for future reference.

Apparatus-
Textblock 858
destroy apparatus:nomonsters 1382:minlevel 25 1382:message 1384:message 1383:failability 132:giveability 132 2:message 1385:message 1386:addability 34 1:addexp 5000000:message 3293:message 3295
attack apparatus:nomonsters 1382:minlevel 25 1382:message 1384:message 1383:failability 132:giveability 132 2:message 1385:message 1386:addability 34 1:addexp 5000000:message 3293:message 3295
break apparatus:nomonsters 1382:minlevel 25 1382:message 1384:message 1383:failability 132:giveability 132 2:message 1385:message 1386:addability 34 1:addexp 5000000:message 3293:message 3295
Dark Mage-
Textblock 9537
goodaligned -51:failability 127:failability 128:testability 126 25:checkability 126 25:giveability 126 28:addexp 175000000:text 9483
evilaligned -50:goodaligned 29:failability 126:failability 128:testability 127 19:checkability 127 19:giveability 127 28:addexp 175000000:text 9483
evilaligned 150:failability 126:failability 127:testability 128 21:checkability 128 21:giveability 128 28:addexp 175000000:text 9483
Zanthalus-
Textblock 9547
goodaligned -51:failability 127:failability 128:testability 126 28:checkability 126 28:giveability 126 29:message 3146:message 3150:addexp 50000000
evilaligned -50:goodaligned 29:failability 126:failability 128:testability 127 28:checkability 127 28:giveability 127 29:message 3146:message 3150:addexp 50000000
evilaligned 150:failability 126:failability 127:testability 128 28:checkability 128 28:giveability 128 29:message 3146:message 3150:addexp 50000000
Any questions/comments, please post them. Thanks!