mud stays in autoupdate.

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
korvikan

mud stays in autoupdate.

Post by korvikan »

Hey guys -

I have been playing around with an edited mud. When I use NMR to edit and build a full update file I never get anything other than Initialized. (This takes about 20 something min after it finds the database update). If I try to apply the update manually I get the message that Autoupdate is in progress. I left it alone for 24 hours and it never finished. After logging into the game, the changes I made to shops and such seem to be there. But, it never clears the auto-update in the log.

As a test after I made a backup, I went ahead and wrote out a blank update file. The same behavior happened, but the auto-update was "Done" (meaning it allowed me to kick it off from the sysop menu) and that went quickly. I never received the message that the auto-update was done in the audit trail.

Is there something I am missing here? Or was the information in NMR old and just told me I would see that it completed? I want to get this resolved before I start installing other edits, because I want to ensure we get what we are trying to do.

Thanks!

-James

BearFather

Re: mud stays in autoupdate.

Post by BearFather »

Normally an update pack can take upto about 30 min and should be done. You would get a notice when it's done. Does it keep the updates you made after you add a blank file? Try running an offline recovery and see if that clears up the issue also.

Sorry not much help, don't use that system. I edit files and test on another host and then export/import db changes when I'm done.

cuckoorules

Re: mud stays in autoupdate.

Post by cuckoorules »

If you compile a full update, the next time the board comes up (or cleanup), you should see some messages in your console indicating that the pickup started and finished...

"Found Database Update"
and
"Automatic Database Update Complete"

You shouldn't ever need to do anything manual beyond that. It's highly recommended to compile a blank update again once you can clearly see that it completed and everything went in successfully, to prevent unnecessary processing and potentially cleanup lag every night due to the same file being re-processed over and over.

If this isn't happening, then something weird is going on that I'm unfamiliar with.