Is there a way to make every new character start with an item?

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
PlasmicFluid

Is there a way to make every new character start with an item?

Post by PlasmicFluid »

I want to have each character created start with a gold jeweled ring (item 1964) in their inventory automatically. does anyone know if this is possible?
thanks

Ravyn

Re: Is there a way to make every new character start with an item?

Post by Ravyn »

Sure, quite easy. Simply find the map and room # of the room in hewhaven where the player first spawns, then make a room spell, name it "Start Spell" or something, that spell calls a textblock, and that textblock checks to see if the player has that item (GJR), and if it doesnt, it gives the item. Like this:
failitem [#]:giveitem [#]

(edit) by room spell i dont mean a spell that casts to the room, i mean a spell that casts on self, and assign it to that room as its room spell. If you dont know how to do this try looking at something simple like the temple noise spell.

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

Oh, second edit. Make sure the GJR is no longer sold anywhere, or the user could go sell the ring, come back, get another for free, go sell it again, come back, repeat, repeat...

PlasmicFluid

Post by PlasmicFluid »

Thanks! im going to look into room scripts, never ever crossed my mind before

Kraklaha

Post by Kraklaha »

Oooo… I like this...

Has anyone thought about doing this with starting gear instead of having to buy all the padded stuff?

I will make this and upload it to mods :)

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

If you do it with padded gear make sure you add maxlevel 1:checkitem#:giveitem#:checkitem#:giveitem# etc, otherwise when the person gets a couple levels and is wearing leather armor, you dont want it to give more padded stuff back... so it only gives it to a level 1 guy.

Kraklaha

Post by Kraklaha »

Ravyn wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 pm If you do it with padded gear make sure you add maxlevel 1:checkitem#:giveitem#:checkitem#:giveitem# etc, otherwise when the person gets a couple levels and is wearing leather armor, you dont want it to give more padded stuff back... so it only gives it to a level 1 guy.
That really shouldn't be an issue. If they are wandering back to Newhaven entrance or Newhaven healer for shits and giggles, its on them.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2715

It has been created and tested by my players. It starts people with a quarterstaff unless they are Bard, Thief, Gypsy or Missionary, then those classes start with a club. All have a GJR per the request of the person who asked for it.