BTRIEVE File locked.

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Kyau

BTRIEVE File locked.

Post by Kyau »

So I have been messing about with BTRIEVE and connecting to the DATs for a week or so now. I seem to remember back when I messed with this a long time ago that there was a way to link to the live DATs and not receive the "File is already locked" error. Does anyone remember how to go about doing this?

BearFather

Re: BTRIEVE File locked.

Post by BearFather »

I never switched to btreive, became too lazy. But I know when I run the board as a service, I get these error's when trying to look at the dats live.

Kyau

Post by Kyau »

Ya I can not find any of my older notes on BTRIEVE, but if I remember correctly you could copy one of the newer DLLs from Pervasive to your BBS directory, this would give it access to the newer DLL or something. This then removed the lock that happens the moment the BBS starts, as it opens all the MMUD DATs exclusively, hence them being locked.

Kyau

Post by Kyau »

Looking further into this it looks like the BTRIEVE Error 85 happens when two different versions are trying to connect to a database at the same time, which would actually make a lot of sense. No matter what settings I change in Pervasive SQL though, I tried database compatibility 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x (which is what version Pervasive is). I even tried Read-Only mode for the Database itself, still no dice.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

try rebooting windows could be holding the file open or try changing the btrieve settings??

Kyau

Post by Kyau »

No its WGSERV that is holding it locked not Windows, when WGSERV loads MajorMUD it exclusively opens the DAT files.

Shadoron

Post by Shadoron »

I just skimmed my notes on this very quickly, and this line popped out at me.

"Once installed, replace WBTRV32.DLL in your C:\WGSERV directory (also replace the one in nightmare) with the WBTRV32.DLL in C:\PVSW\bin."

Have you done this step already?

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

No one mentioned in here that they were actually trying to use the newer pervasive engine, correct? BTRIEVE is what wg/mmud use by default. There are settings which dictate whether the files are opened exclusively or not. Potentially, some of the "File Sharing [...]" settings mentioned here may enable it: http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?t=1205

Kyau

Post by Kyau »

Shadoron wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 pm I just skimmed my notes on this very quickly, and this line popped out at me.

"Once installed, replace WBTRV32.DLL in your C:\WGSERV directory (also replace the one in nightmare) with the WBTRV32.DLL in C:\PVSW\bin."

Have you done this step already?
You are a god! That did it, final nut cracked I now have live access to the DATs while the WGSERV is running!! Thank you all so much for helping with this.

Morden

Post by Morden »

Hey, would it be possible if one of you's would be willing to upload an install copy of Pervasive SQL with a working key license so it doesn't stay in trial mode when copying btrieve to the Worldgroup folder?
Thanks!