Easily Parse Worldgroup Data

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Kyau

Easily Parse Worldgroup Data

Post by Kyau »

Found a new trick I saw someone else using that is running a WG system and website attached to it, going to play around with this today. This should allow you to easily parse ANY stock Worldgroup Text Block Variable & the who's online list from Worldgroup.

1) Enable the "Registry of Users" & "Finger Server" modules (if you disabled per advice of most install guides).

2) Make sure the key to be finger-able is one that every user has (I don't use DEMO personally, so I changed it to NORMAL). This is done in Security and Accounting.

You can then go into the Edit Text Blocks, and look at the two for the finger server that are the header and the user line. These two text blocks can contain any Worldgroup System Variable (ALT+V in the editor), I tried using variables from other modules but got errors. You also have to make sure there is absolutely no color codes or it will also error.

With this you can then use the default finger command in windows or linux to "finger @voidbbs.com" and get a full user listing with all the additional variables you added (be sure to open port 79 in firewall for finger if needed). While not ground breaking this does make this parse-able data; things such as total calls, total accounts, etc.

The only caveat to this is that if the user is /INVIS they will not show up in the list. Which may or may not work to your advantage.

BearFather

Re: Easily Parse Worldgroup Data

Post by BearFather »

Ohh that's interesting. I do have it enabled will have to play with that when I have some time.

Kyau

Re: Easily Parse Worldgroup Data

Post by Kyau »

BTW: Credit where credit is due, this is the site I saw it on... http://www.soc4ever.com/