NMR Won't Start Missing Btrieve?

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Kasm

NMR Won't Start Missing Btrieve?

Post by Kasm »

Hi everyone, I was trying to dust off my old files and start playing around with Majormud again. I tried to install NMR but now on a windows 10 machine. I get error 53 saying it may be due to btreive engine can not initiate. I never got this with my other machines. How can I get btrieve? I found the setting up a BBS thread on this forum that explains installing Btreive and a BBS but it doesn't say were to get any of the files.

Bloodrock

Re: NMR Won't Start Missing Btrieve?

Post by Bloodrock »

btrieve comes with wg your prob getting error cause of files=150 that needs the be in the file config.nt found in the systemwow folder in windows folder or try to adjust file handles with the prog in wg folder called w32mkset.exe,
when you run w32mkset.exe you will see open files and under that handles try setting both to 100 then close and restart or reboot windows and try bbs again.

Kasm

Post by Kasm »

I checked out w32mkset.exe and both the fields you said were already set to 100.

The full error message I am getting is when starting NMR is: "Error 53: File not found. if you receive this error on loading it MAY be because the btrieve engine can not initiate. Try copying wbtrv32.dll, ws32mkset.dll, and w32mkde.exe from the NMR directory to your (Win9x) or system32 (WinNT+) directory."

I have windows ten, so I have 4 system folders. (System, system 32, systemapps, systemresources). Which folder do I use? Also, why is this even happening? I never got this on my windows xp or 7 machine. Did windows 10 change something relating to this?

Thank you.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

I just installed NMR (v1.8.1) onto a Windows 10 64-bit machine that never had WG or NMR before and it installed fine and loaded some dats just fine. Assuming you are on a 64-bit computer, you should place those files into "C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64" -- this is the "system32" folder for 32-bit applications (on a 64-bit computer). The installer should have put these files for you automatically (as it just did for me). If not, I have attached them here.
Attachments
btrieve_files.zip.zip
(186.2 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

Kasm

Post by Kasm »

Thank you! I got it working.