Some tests on Accuracy and how stats, level, etc affect it

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Ravyn

Some tests on Accuracy and how stats, level, etc affect it

Post by Ravyn »

by Ravyn of Codered BBS

RE: Some accuracy tests for combat engine (player targetting monster)

So here is some data as to how various stats and other factors effect the accuracy. every test done on the same monster, with
40/0 ac. As usual all the tests were done with my combat-3 testing char @ 2% enc, but the bottom has other combat-levels.
Obviously as all these factors go up (add up), that total # the game uses of accuracy is then used against the monsters ac
to determine the chance to hit. i believe the monsters chance to dodge is an absolute/constant # and is not altered by your
accuracy.

so, fifty boring 2-3 hour test runs later here it is :)

Level effects----------- (i tested levels 1-25 with no stat raises, all stats 50/50/50/50/50)---------

lvl: hit%

01: 6
02: 7
03: 8
04: 13
05: 13
06: 17
07: 17
08: 26
09: 41
10: 45
11: 46
12: 48
13: 48
14: 51
15: 52
16: 60
17: 60
18: 63
19: 64
20: 64
21: 64
22: 64
23: 65
24: 66
25: 72

results: non-linear increases for nearly every level with several big unexplained jumps. the numbers are within +/- 1%

agility effects--------- (i tested with same char but everytime at level 10 and increased only agil)-----

agil:hit%

50 : 45
60 : 46
70 : 47
80 : 51
90 : 54
100: 55

results: agil made only a small difference, likely at high levels might be unnoticeable with other factors considered.
a 10% increase with +50 is a pretty small increase overall.

intellect effects------- (i tested with same char but everytime at level 10 and increased only intel)----

int:hit%

60 : 45
70 : 45
80 : 45
90 : 45
100: 45

results: intellect is not a factor in your accuracy.

charm effects----------- (i tested with same char but everytime at level 10 and increased only charm)----

charm:hit%

60 : 45
70 : 45
80 : 45
90 : 45
100: 45

results: charm is not a factor in your accuracy.

str effects------------- (i tested with same char but everytime at level 10 and increased only str)-----

str:hit%

60 : 48
70 : 53
80 : 58
90 : 59
100: 61

results: str is the main contributing stat in your accuracy vs their ac, the str effects seemed to be about 1.5
to 2.0 times the effect agility had in this test

combat-level effects---- (i tested with same char but modified the class for combat-1 to combat-5)-----

combat-level:hit% (again at level 10 with all stats 50)

1 : 08
2 : 26
3 : 45
4 : 56
5 : 66

results: combat-level was the main factor for sure in how well they performed

encumberance effects-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i did not run the whole series of tests for this as I'm reasonably sure you gain +1 accuracy (not a true 1%
but a +1) for every 3% or encumberance below 33%, we know this from the coin bug and this is what i have
observed over my active play over the past few years.

note: willpower was not tested as i am positive it is not a factor in your accuracy.

overall results: at least now we know the "ratio" if you will of how important str and agil are as compared to each other,
and although the results werent linear for say agility, which had a 10% gain over +50, you could reduce that down to a 2%
gain per 10, etc. and since we know int and charm arent a factor we can rule those out. as for the level results i hope
you can use this as some sort of a guide to assist in the formula u make, and again all these %'s are going to change vs
a specific monster ac, i did them all against 40 just to show the difference between them. i wish i had better "patterns"
for you to make the formula easier but so many variables involved and with 2 hours a run to stabilize the results it def takes
a lot of time. That being said I am certainly down to run any more tests you think would benefit you.. ie if you want me to
go back and test the level results against a 60 ac monster i could do that, probly every other level though or something to
make it quicker.. you let me know what you need i will try to help ya in any way i can.

as for my opinion on how you build the function, up to you but perhaps one option you could start with a "base" to hit % depending on
the chars combat-level 1 to 5, since that seems to be the main factor, and then the stats/level/enc bonuses and whatever +/- accuracy
are in abilities from gear/spells/etc would then addup and factor in, giving a + or - to that base number, then compare that
against the target's ac to endup with a chance to hit %, once that function is done and in place we can do some test runs with various
chars with real-life gear, one on my board or yours, with the same exact char on the test server and then compare the results.
with a little tweaking should be able to get it to matchup fairly close to the stock mud results since we're using the exact
same char on the exact same test dummy, do this several times with various styles of chars and tweak the test dummies ac
around a little bit each time, it should work out well, just have to make sure each run the remake test char and the stock mud
test char are exactly the same in all stats, level and gear and hitting the same monster.

also remember i mentioned before there is basically a hard-cap in the total accuracy based on combat level, 95-99 for combat-5
(or perhaps no cap), 90-95 for combat-4, 85-90 for combat-3, 80-85 for combat-2, and 75-80 for combat-1

Ravyn ravyn.codered@gmail.com

AdmiralAcid

Re: Some tests on Accuracy and how stats, level, etc affect it

Post by AdmiralAcid »

Xeeg wrote:what i wanna know is if giving gypsies like +5 bs acc, +5 stealth, +5% manaregen, is as good as giving cleric combat 4, +5 S.C
Platinum wrote:no..clerics are, no matter how you look at it, extremely superior to gypsies..5 mana regen, stealth, and bs accuracy helps less than you think, it barely makes a dent.

In 1.11j+, bs's are extremely more accurate anyway.

+5 stealth is nothing, it doesn't help at all..heh.

Clerics that are combat-4 are awesome..you're better of doing +1 to all classes combat, cuz combat 2 is horrible as compared to the rest.
Reckless wrote:You'd have to do a lot more than those minor enhancements to make gypsies worthwhile. combat-3 is definitely an improvement they need. +5 stealth? Are you kidding? They get super stealth. +5% mana regen...make it about 30% mana regen, give them some decent weapons or alter the existing ones to be less crappy. That still wouldn't make them as good as clerics...it's the plate the clerics get to wear that really makes them bad now.
Xeeg wrote:well i dont want to make gypsies and missionaries just like warlocks and clerics with bad armour...

ive been playing my thief, combat 2 so far almost PURE backstabs and it is owning, i decide where to exp depending on how many backstabs it takes per monster and how well they follow... i want the classes to be based around what they are supposed to based around....

how can i even out the backstabbing classes? im not going to make their combat better, because that doesnt fit the point of the class. is there anything i can do to them that would increase their stealthy combat proportinally to a combat increase? as in, increase how good they are per level, rather than like bs min damage +5. its min damage +1 per level... kinda like how upgrading from combat 4-5 would work or whatever

take in mind that this isnt a scripting board, so most sneakers that suck at combat are not walking into a room, bsing then wiffing for like 10 rounds till they get a hit. they walk back out, resneak, then get the other backstab in, which is way faster exp.

this is why i dont want to increase their combat, im trying to increase the classes main strengths.

i also dont want to make them get 2h items or anything for the same reason. I like how the game is set up in their restrictions, to make each class have its own good side and downside

Ravyn

Re: Some tests on Accuracy and how stats, level, etc affect it

Post by Ravyn »

On my board i have given gypsy a lot of unique gypsy-only items and weapons (like the low lvl stuff but this is higher level and much better), as well as unique awesome curses and debuffs, the items lean towards a lot of +dodge, +bsdmg, and lifesteal etc, combat-2 will always suck but on my board a gypsy is one of the best classes to have in your party for boss-killing. I've rebalanced and increased mana regen on everything. Gypsy can be made decent, and fun.