Yellow Crits

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Dizasta

Re: Yellow Crits

Post by Dizasta »

It was Bentobox BBS and it's still up. They have 10 Majormud games each running a different version. Each version being a module, base version being the first and ending with module 9. I've already logged on there and tested it out and I'm still getting red crits with the base version. This leads me to believe that I started playing mud at an earlier version than what I remember playing which was 1.1d. I remember crits being yellow before mod 1 came out so I must of have earlier an version before 1.1d. Again the release notes are incorrect about when it was changed from yellow back to red which was version 1.1y. Which puts it about the time right before module 6 is about to be released. This definitely not correct or even being close to that. The release notes don't mention when they turned it from red to yellow either which would have helped. I believe I may have started playing mud earlier than I thought with all the information given. I just remember looking at the version one day and seeing 1.1d and that is one thing I'm sure of. I just wish I knew exactly which one when I began to play.. This is off the main topic but roused my curiosity. The bbs I played on had just upgraded to module 1 and there was this bug in Dragon Teeth Hills which had a room with 6 gold hidden and you could grab the 6 gold and there would still be 6 gold hidden in the room. Naturally this was a massive money bug and you could spam a macro to pick up as much gold as you could carry. I had always wondered if it was a bug resulting from upgrading to the newer version and only occurred on this bbs or if it was a bug that every board had that upgraded or was it a permanent bug from running that version.

Dizasta

Post by Dizasta »

So ok I've been still looking into this and I hope someone could give me answer on this. So yellow crits on what I remember was that when it changed(at least on the board I played)on sometime around Mod 1's release. Now the release notes states that crits were changed back to red in version 1.1y. I believe version 1.1y was up to mod 7 and the gap between mod 1 and mod 7 is pretty huge to say the least. This is were it gets complicated because nothing is making sense to me. So when the mod 7 teaser capture was pre-released to show off the new module it had yellow crits. But i logged on into version 1.1r to another board and my own bbs as well and it was still red. I even used a different telnet application just to verify Megamud wasn't the problem. Then I went and installed the earliest version available which is 1.0 with same result and then tried version 1.0y but still no yellow crits. So the question is how is it possible that yellow crits were still around "pre-mod 7", but I know for a fact 100% that they never made it passed mod 2. Granted this was still in the dial up era so I really don't know about the other 4-5 bbs's in my area running Majormud at the time because unlike them the board I played on you could at least enter the realm as a non paying member, just couldn't train passed level 3. Plus I never seen yellow crits ever again after it changed back to red. So maybe I need to check out versions before 1.1f or 1.1g because that didn't have it as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would like to hear them.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I remember it pre-mod 4 having yellow crits. Also on the mod 7 thing, I think there was a bug that enabled yellow crits again on accident, so they re-released the version without it. But this is from 20+ year old memories with lots of bong resin.

Dizasta

Post by Dizasta »

I remember when they took it out because I was disappointed that they changed it and I remember other changes they made around that time too like they changed the pull lever near mad wizard so you could use it on another player anymore(that one was fun and also a victim of it lol), you couldn't sell lvl 10 quest weapons in shops anymore, also evil players don't end up in halls of the dead anymore, but under shadowly healer. I remember they changing spells like hinder and what ever regeneration was before it. They changed a couple lvl 10 quest weapons like silvery rapier was shining rapier and I don't quite remember what the other one was I want to say paladin's? BABONG!

Dizasta

Post by Dizasta »

If I'm ever going to figure out about the yellow crits I'm going to need some concrete information. I doubt any of the versions of mmud for wg3 ever had it at one point and are in the mbbs/wg2 versions, but yet I'm still getting red crits everywhere I've looked. I thought I'd get more help on this topic from long time players. I might have to goto my storage and start digging through everything I have.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

You know I bet it was a dos version of Mud, cause it was way back in the early early days of mud. Before windows 95 was popular.