BTRIEVE OPEN ERROR 86 ON WCCACMS2.DAT

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
msdss

BTRIEVE OPEN ERROR 86 ON WCCACMS2.DAT

Post by msdss »

Has anyone seen this error before and have a solution?
It is a brand new WGS 3.20 install, and a fresh install of MajorMUD v1.11p.

I've followed the steps from this forums on setting up a new system, but I can't seem to get past this.

I get this error as soon as I try and start the server. It starts, looks like it's about to give the 'ready' status, but then errors out.

I've made sure the file is present in the \WGSERV\ directory, and I've tried copying the .vir over the .dat but that didn't work.
I've tried running the offline utility for MajorMUD to restore the database files, and I've also tried the WGS file integrity check.
The BTRIEVE error code list on this site lists ERROR 86 as a full file? But I'm not sure what that means. How could it be full if it is a new file?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

This is on Win764 if that helps at all.

BearFather

Re: BTRIEVE OPEN ERROR 86 ON WCCACMS2.DAT

Post by BearFather »

That is a common issue, you need to raise your "files" limit. In the old days you would do files=120 or whatever. I think syntax has this listed in his install mud thread. If not you can search the web for setting this in modern windows.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

put files=250 in the windows config.nt file it's in windows\system32 folder

msdss

Post by msdss »

I searched every page of the install thread, and I couldn't find any reference to increasing the limit.

Also, there is no config.nt file in the windows\system32 folder. I did find one in the windows\syswow64 folder. This file is completely empty. So I simply added a line that said "files=250" and saved it. However I still get the same error on the same file. I also tried 'file=250' and 'files=2500' just to try a few different things. Still get the same error. :(

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

ok then try this open w32mkset.exe in wgserv folder or wg whatever you named it in open files set current to 100
set handles to 100
also b4 i go farther once you added the line files=250 did you reboot the compurter
comp has to be rebooted for the files=250 to get used

msdss

Post by msdss »

Ok. Thank you very much for your help.
Apparently the config.nt file does nothing at all.

Running the runmkset program fixed all of my issues.
It looks like it doesn't even reference the config.nt file.
In the config.nt i had it set to a huge number, and in the runmkset program, it still displays the default values (i think 10, and 50?)

After running that program, and setting the open files and handlers to 250, the system comes up perfectly w/all add ons and games.

Thanks again so much!