How attack damage is calculated, attack, bash, smash, crits, etc

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Ravyn

How attack damage is calculated, attack, bash, smash, crits, etc

Post by Ravyn »

by Ravyn of Codered BBS

So I did some testing all day today to determine exactly how all the attacks work and their effectiveness..

We all have some idea of how the multipliers of crit and bash and smash work and how to determine our
average round etc, but I wanted to know the EXACT method the game uses, the real formulas, here's how i did it
to determine the way it works--

First, I created a char and made it level 60, with max stats except having only 50 str.
I then gave it a weapon that does EXACTLY 100-100 dmg per hit, 100 min, 100 max so the results
would be pure and easily readable.. i made the weapon give +10 crits so they could be tested also.
The char I made was naked and had absolutely no abilities or bonuses whatsoever, a blank char
with just bash and smash abilities. the 50 str is important because anything above that obviously
adds max dmg to the hit, and I needed it to hit for 100 dmg every single time, in order to see the
exact multiples. I then tested it on the bronze practice dummy, which i gave 0 DR so again every hit
would be pure for 100 damage, on the same monster everytime so the results would stabilize quickly. I
then went back and retested again with the dummy having 50 DR, to observe where DR fits into the equation.

Also note the char i tested with had 5 hits/round with reg attack AND bash

So here comes the nerdy mad scientist part with some math and figuring to show the end result!

Bash--------------------------

hit 330-330, average 330
hit 180-180 against 50 dr, showing DR is calculated before the multiplier, although strange it should have hit for 165
miss 17%
miss 17% also if weapon exceeded my str

This means that bash uses a static multiplier of 3.3 x random(min dmg to max dmg), or 3.3*((weapon dmg)-(monster DR))
This means the max possible round with 5 hits landed is 1650 on 0 DR
This means the max possible round with 5 hits landed is 900 on 50 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landed is 1650 on 0 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landed is 900 on 50 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round would be 1485 on 0 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round would be 810 on 50 DR

Smash-------------------------

hit 600-600, average 600
hit 350-350 on monster w/ 50 dr, showing DR is calculated before the multiplier, although strange it should have hit for 300
miss 22%
miss 22% also if weapon exceeded my str

This means that smash uses a static multipler of 6.0 x random(min dmg to max dmg), or 6*((weapon dmg)-(monster DR))
This means the max possible round is 600 on 0 DR
This means the max possible round is 350 on 50 DR
This means the average round if hit is landed is 600 on 0 DR
This means the average round if hit is landed is 350 on 50 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round would be 540 on 0 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round would be 315 on 50 DR

Reg Attack--------------------

hit 100-100, average 100
hit 50-50, average 50 on monster with 50 DR (makes sense right)
crit 200-400, average 300
Crit 150-350, average 250 on monster with 50 DR, showing DR is calculated AFTER THE MULTIPLIER with crits
miss 12%
miss 17% if weapon exceeded my str (same as bash)

**v2 Update - I went back later and tested and found out crits are calculated ONLY USING MAX DAMAGE, min dmg does not apply

This means that crits use a linear random multipler of 2.00 to 4.00 x (max dmg), or ((random(2.0 to 4.0)*(maxdmg))-(monster dr))
This means the max possible round is 2000 (all 5 hits landed with crits) on 0 DR
This means the max possible round is 1750 (all 5 hits landed with crits) on 50 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landing and 40% crits is 900 on 0 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landing and 20% crits is 700 on 0 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landing and 40% crits is 650 on 50 DR
This means the average round with all 5 hits landing and 20% crits is 450 on 50 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round with 40% crits would be 810 on 0 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round with 20% crits would be 630 on 0 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round with 40% crits would be 585 on 50 DR
If you consider a real-life 10% miss rate, the average round with 20% crits would be 405 on 50 DR

-------------------------------

So what did we learn?

1) broken down into the simplest terms, bash is 3.3 x dmg, smash is 6.0 x dmg, and crit is 2.00 to 4.00 x max dmg, randomly

2) Although accuracy is a complex formula both with many factors including yours and the monsters stats, in my testing bash seemed to be
about 5% less accuracy than regular attack, and smash seemed another 5% less than bash. Lacking the required str for my weapon reduced
the regular attacks accuracy to the same as using bash. smash and bash both seemed to ignore lacking the str and had no accuracy loss.

3) DR is calculated before the multiplier with smash and bash, making them much less efficient at penetrating high-dr enemies, although
it did seem to only subtract about 90% of the monsters DR, it didn't come out exact.

4) DR is calculated after the multiplier with crits, and is exact, making them very efficient at penetrating high-dr enemies.

5) if at high levels you can get 5 hits with bash, it is massively more efficient and consistent damage than regular attack and critting.

6) although bash is more consistent and higher dmg than critting, the max possible round with critting is much higher, although less consistent.

7) if your weapon is not real high dmg like the one tested, critting may be the only way to damage a monster with very high dr, since
bash and smash calculate the dr before the multiplier.

8) even two hits bashing should yield a better dmg average than a smash hit, which is contrary to most beliefs, I believe the perception of
the one big number from the smash hit is misleading and thats why we think that.

9) ***v2 update to this document: a crit ONLY USES your total max damage in the calculation. So yes MAX DAMAGE is more effective than min damage,
if you are a 'critter'. ie a 20-70 damage weapon does the EXACT same crit dmg as a 40-70 weapon. The min dmg is ignored.

Hope this helps,

Ravyn ravyn.codered AT gmail.com