?$!4%V

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
donlemmons

Re: ?$!4%V

Post by donlemmons »

I did a restore from a backup, and it has come up the same way 5 times. I downloaded the mod from here

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

So what steps are you following to import this mod?

The reason I ask is I just did it on my test box and only stuff it edited was rooms, and had no weird mob names. I just did the all.mdb file in the zip with rooms checked on the import screen.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

well if you have not added any monsters before the trouble started why not just delete the file wccknms2.dat then find wccknms2.vir copy to a seperate folder rename to wccknms2.dat then copy to bbs folder open nmr compile then run a recovery
again too make sure textblocks are clean nothing at end except a line break symbol (this is of course if you did not add any new monsters)

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I actually just ran into this during creating an new expansion.

What caused it for me was there was the same gibberish in all my text blocks on my test server and never really cared till to I hit this bug. Under mobs in there "Desc txt" it links to a text block. I had used one that had that gibberish. So once I removed that and the extra line-break my names came back. It was weird I was like WTF I got what Don has, and never knew the Desc txt could override the name but it makes sense now.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Those characters are more of a problem then just getting rid of them with the tool I wrote in NMR to strip them out. There are a decent number of text blocks that are full on their character limit. And there are at a least a few of them that contain commands. On those blocks, the last few characters become these symbols, replacing any text that may have been there before. On textual textblocks it's no big deal, but on ones with commands, it breaks those commands.

In my "setting up a board" thread I mentioned this issue as it happens every time I install a fresh board and let the update file run (no NMR or anything involved). The only way I found to get around the issue is to use NMR to create a new update file after the fresh install, before the board is first loaded up. There must be something wrong with the update file included in the v1.11p release that everyone has.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Yeah on my test board never cared since I never play with stuck stuff on it. My prod server has them stripped out, long ago.

So your saying it's the update file that is shipped with mud that causes this issue?

donlemmons

Post by donlemmons »

Thanks guys