Majormud Buffer Settings

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Ravyn

Majormud Buffer Settings

Post by Ravyn »

Does anyone know the proper usage and any potential drawbacks of messing with the buffers?

In the WG / MUD settings there are buffers for everything from maxraces, maxclasses, bankbooks, spells, active monsters, known monsters (i think?), rooms, messages, etc...

There are also a couple other options like "relative polling counter" which has to do with initialization etc..

Obviously back then memory was a problem, and now it isn't but the games performance would still depend a lot on this if the settings were wrong (I'm sure), so all these
buffers have a "minimum value" and a "recommended value" but many have subtexts saying you can increase this if you have a good HD cache or increase this if you have
a faster processor but some mention negative effects if you set stuff too high..

So my question is, should these just be left at the recommended value, or doubled? does it matter if you just make them all huge since memory isnt an issue? or is
there a point where that will give negative performance....

In particular i'm wondering about rooms, active monsters, spells, etc because I have many many more on mine than a stock board... also my mud files tend to fragment
a lot and if dont keep up on running defrag then the board starts to slow way down after a couple weeks...

~Ravyn / Codered BBS

MiOw

Re: Majormud Buffer Settings

Post by MiOw »

We had some recent discussion in another thread about these... at least some input to get you started - http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... fers#p4982

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357