Adding additional item slots + goto commands

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Necrosaro420

Adding additional item slots + goto commands

Post by Necrosaro420 »

Is there an easy way to add additional item slots and goto commands? I am a novice when it comes to hex editing. I did try to add an additional slot in the dll (I assume I did it wrong), I "inserted" an extra slot name into the wccmmud.dll, but when I tried to load up the bbs, it crashed with a mmudplus error. Also, I would assume it is the same situation, but adding additional goto commands to new areas I create?

BearFather

Re: Adding additional item slots + goto commands

Post by BearFather »

The thing with the dll you have to watch what you change I do believe it checks the size of the file. It does some sort of check cause you change the file size it freaks, it might be also the memory addresses shifting that causes the issue.

Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

Ahhh I see. Yeah it said something about memory error on the wccmmpls.dll file or something.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Lols. DLL editing is nowhere near that easy. I'm assuming you added a string entry in a list of strings which is less than a fraction of what's involved. There are probably hundreds of lines of code dealing with equipping items, all converted to ASM that would need to be deciphered and altered to do such a thing. On the best of luck, you'd have to trace the code all the way through and maybe change a few integer maximum values and some memory addresses pointers, neither of which easy tasks. Most likely case is that it's virtually impossible.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

While your digging around in there find out how to add more abilities to the player, 30 just not enough.

Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

syntax wrote:Lols. DLL editing is nowhere near that easy. I'm assuming you added a string entry in a list of strings which is less than a fraction of what's involved. There are probably hundreds of lines of code dealing with equipping items, all converted to ASM that would need to be deciphered and altered to do such a thing. On the best of luck, you'd have to trace the code all the way through and maybe change a few integer maximum values and some memory addresses pointers, neither of which easy tasks. Most likely case is that it's virtually impossible.

Yeah that is pretty much what I did...I really have no clue when it comes to programming, was just giving that a shot hehe.

Larsen1906

Post by Larsen1906 »

Necrosaro420 wrote:
syntax wrote:Lols. DLL editing is nowhere near that easy. I'm assuming you added a string entry in a list of strings which is less than a fraction of what's involved. There are probably hundreds of lines of code dealing with equipping items, all converted to ASM that would need to be deciphered and altered to do such a thing. On the best of luck, you'd have to trace the code all the way through and maybe change a few integer maximum values and some memory addresses pointers, neither of which easy tasks. Most likely case is that it's virtually impossible.

Yeah that is pretty much what I did...I really have no clue when it comes to programming, was just giving that a shot hehe.

Back in the days of mbbs and dial up boards, a sysop friend of mine did manage to add item slots and abilities. I'll have to check. But there are a few unused item slots already built in to mud that there are no items built for. I believe its Wrist(2), eyes, nowhere and everywhere or something like that.

telnet tdrbbs.ddns.net
BearFather

Post by BearFather »

There is nowhere, everywhere, wrist(2), eyes, and face. These are in and work just nothing in stock uses them. Well I guess nowhere is used on a lot of items, but mainly because it the base selection.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

All torch items are Nowhere worn. The IlluTarget ability is what makes it readyable. Similar, the Eternal Flame from the 3rd neutral quest is "equippable" as a worn item for +illu. It is used in stock. Also, I haven't tested, but I thought that Finger(1) and Finger(2) and Wrist(1) and Wrist(2) really were basically the same 2 slots interchangably. Also, I'm pretty sure skull mask is stock, and that's face. And everywhere is just glitchy. The only one that really seems to work properly is eyes.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Yeah I have always seen 1/2 as left and right and the 2's are not real slots. Not sure why I even listed, it was early and probably high. And Skull Mask in stock is ears slot.