Cloud / Virtual Servers

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
Necrosaro420

Re: Cloud / Virtual Servers

Post by Necrosaro420 »

Sorry for digging up an old post. You said you had set this up for you and your friends. How many total characters/connections were there going to this at once?

MiOw

Post by MiOw »

Necrosaro420 wrote:Sorry for digging up an old post. You said you had set this up for you and your friends. How many total characters/connections were there going to this at once?
Every ClassicMUD board (5 or 6 now?) has run on AWS and using the t2.micro instance the performance is stellar. We have had more than 100 connections in some moments. Very fast, very stable.

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357
Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

MiOw wrote:
Necrosaro420 wrote:Sorry for digging up an old post. You said you had set this up for you and your friends. How many total characters/connections were there going to this at once?
Every ClassicMUD board (5 or 6 now?) has run on AWS and using the t2.micro instance the performance is stellar. We have had more than 100 connections in some moments. Very fast, very stable.
That's cool. With that many connections, whats your average bill look like on there per month?

RandalThor

Post by RandalThor »

I know this is a very old post, but I am curious.

t2.micro now only has Windows Server 2016 and Server 2012 as options. Has anyone gotten these to work for world group and major mud? If so, how? I’d love to setup a board if possible!

Thanks... again sorry for dredging this up.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

The best way to host on anything past windows 2k or xp, is to install all the modules to a xp vm then install WG on the new OS and then copy the WGSERV folder from xp to the the newer OS.

The reason you do it this way is cause a lot of modules won't install on new OS's. But you still need WG to install reg keys.

I hope that made sense.

RandalThor

Post by RandalThor »

BearFather wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:41 am The best way to host on anything past windows 2k or xp, is to install all the modules to a xp vm then install WG on the new OS and then copy the WGSERV folder from xp to the the newer OS.

The reason you do it this way is cause a lot of modules won't install on new OS's. But you still need WG to install reg keys.

I hope that made sense.
So basically if you were to use the AWS you'd have to install it locally on say a windows 2000 server get it all setup and then copy it to the AWS server which is running server 2016?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

That is correct, that is the best way. You can find a mud installer for 64bit, but other addons will fail to install.