Setting up a new board

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
syntax
Site Admin

Setting up a new board

Post by syntax »

Note: These instructions were made using a 64-bit windows 7 sp1 PC with UAC turned off. YMMV on different OS's.

Setting up WG--
  1. Install WG using setup.exe.
    • NOTE: After you run setup you will see a progress bar and then it may/will go away and appear that nothing is happening. Just be patient, it could take a minute or two, but eventually another screen will come up.
    • NOTE2: Some people have had issues installing it from extended paths. Try extracting it to the root of the C Drive to something like "c:\wginstall" and installing it from there.
    • NOTE3: Another possible fix if the setup fails to progress: Open task manager -> details tab -> right click setup.exe -> choose "analyze wait chain" -> end any processes that it's waiting on.
  2. You should give your computer a static IP (or reserve the one in your DHCP settings so it always gets the same one) and then enter that IP on the screen that asks for IP address
  3. After it's installed, from the start menu, go into Worldgroup Server -> Offline Utilities -> and then select and run "disable or re-enable selected modules"
    Check the thread here: http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?p=4225#p4225 which outlines the minimum required modules if all you want to run is MUD. It disables everything else like teleconference. Doing this significantly reduces the number of options in the WG config files which we cover next.
  4. Now launch "General Setup" from the utilities folder.
  5. Go through every item looking for ways to disable shit you don't need. I didn't write everything down that I did (I will next time I do it), but for example, under Core -> CLISRC: Support Client/Server users -> turn that off. Client server is a GUI interface WG made that has no use to us. Another example, under "Sign-up and account display/edit" -> disable all the sign-up questions you don't care about, like "company name."
  6. Don't be lazy. Go through them all and set it up properly.
  7. Now launch "Security & Accounting" and do the same. Go through everything. Stuff you don't want people to do, assign it the "SYSOP" key.
  8. Don't be lazy. Go through them all and set it up properly.
  9. Launch "Hardware Setup" -- Under Core -> GROUP1: Change the number of channels to 254 (i leave 1 open just in case)
  10. Launch C:\WGSERV\wgsrunmt.EXE -- the menu editor. You're going to get two popups about things being disabled that are in the menu.
  11. First press F3 to change to c/s mode. Since we don't use this delete everything. you can easily do this by going to the bottom of the list and then repeatedly pressing F6 -> Y (for yes) -> enter. Once finished press F3 again.
  12. Now delete everything except Account, Electronic Mail, Forums, Remote Sysop Menu, and Exit. If you're choosing to leave other stuff enabled then leave it there.
    wgsrunmt.png
    wgsrunmt.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 27979 times
    NOTE: Just because you remove the menu item doesn't mean people can't get to it. You need to disable the module for that.
  13. Press F10 to exit the menu editor.
  14. Launch WG (wgsappgo.exe), log in and make sure the menu works and you can log out.
  15. Shut it down.
Optional: Enable old-style console window:
NOTE: having this enabled seemed to cause weird issues (at least on windows 7 64-bit). Sometimes no input would be allowed (for anyone on the board!) until i pressed something on the console. Other times the system would be laggy for remote users.
  • Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Galacticomm\Worldgroup Server\CurrentVersion -> UseConsoleWindow -> 1
Optional, but highly recommended: Optimize the btrieve settings (pretty sure this is not necessary if you plan to upgrade to the new pervasive engine, though I suppose it doesn't hurt): http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?t=1205

Installing MUD--
  1. extract the zip for mmud v1.11o/p to a separate folder
  2. open a command prompt window, navigate to that folder, and run "icomp WCCMMUD.Z c:\WGSERV\ -d -i -o" to extract mud to your WG folder
  3. now change directory to your WGSERV folder and run "copy wcc*.vir wcc*.dat"
  4. Now launch the offline utilities again (Start -> programs -> Worldgroup Server -> Offline Utilities) and you will see it go through a setup. Either press CONTROL+C at the prompt or just press enter a couple times and go through some errors about unzipping files because of 16-bit executables.
  5. close the offline utilities.
  6. The files it tries to extract are: WCCHSE.ZIP, WCCEMB.ZIP, WCCBAN.ZIP, WCCSTA.ZIP and WCCSTO.ZIP. Go into your WGSERV folder and right-click on each of those zip files and extract their contents into WGSERV (right-click and "extract here" with most programs, like 7zip).
  7. Also unzip the complete house pack from here: http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2674#p1735
  8. Also create two text files. They are displayed when reading signs in newhaven and silvermere town square: "NEWHAVEN.TXT" and "SILVRMRE.TXT". You can create blank files from DOS if you want by typing "echo.>NEWHAVEN.TXT"
  9. If you are cracking the mud DLL for edits, do that now
  10. Now go into WG's Security & Accounting.
    • MajorMUD Plus: Enter activation code, change the credits for changing desc to 0, credits to buy a life: 0 (set to -1 to disable buying lives), copper to buy a life: 0 (change if you want).
    • WCCMMUD: Enter activation code, credits per minutes consumed while in game: 0
  11. Now launch WG's general setup
    • MajorMUD Plus: Require approval and new descriptions: no
    • WCCMMUD:--
    • Number of buffers to save/set: 10
    • character to start yelling: !
    • name of user defined currency: runic coin
    • number of hit point to die: you pick (-100)
    • fourth global to disallow: =set
    • fifth global to disallow: ;set
    • extra levels before training: you pick (10)
    • max topten users/gangs: you pick (100)
    • percentage of evil points to keep: you pick (0)
    • rate to perform initialization: 1000
    • maximum level difference for pvp: you pick (5/10/-1)
    • allow sysop lightning on all players: no
    • delete majormud user with bbs user: yes
  12. Launch the menu editor (C:\WGSERV\wgsrunmt.EXE)
    • With "TOP" highlighted press F2 for edit
    • arrow down and find a spot to put the MajorMUD menu item, type an "M" (or whatever you want)
    • Short desc: MajorMUD
    • Destination page: MAJORMUD
    • save it and then arrow down to return to menu tree and press enter
    • Arrow down and highlight MAJORMUD if not already and press F2
    • choose module page
    • module name: MajorMUD
    • return to menu tree
    • F10 to exit
  13. NOTE: With the v1.11p dats that I installed, whenever the board started up and ran through the update file, I'd end up with a "corrupt" (per-say) textblock database. It would add the misc characters to the end of each block. You can strip these with nightmare but some textblocks are close to full and will become broken by this. If you fire up nightmare and build a new update file (full or blank) before launching the board for the first time you will not run into this issue.
  14. Fire up the board, login, go to the majormud menu, but don't enter the game
  15. type "SYSOP"
  16. "A" for Addon module activation codes
  17. enter "1" for mod 1, and then enter your activation code.
  18. repeat for 2 through 9
  19. you are now operational
Updating btrieve database engine (optional)--
  1. Launch installer ( PSQL-Server-9.50.077.002-Win32 for me ), enter key, complete install
  2. Machine I was installing on did not have java installed (fresh windows) so I got a prompt about installing it. I said yes. May or may not get this prompt if you already do. Also, sometimes there are compatibility issues with JRE versions.
  3. Run the transactional tests
  4. Run the relational tests
  5. Install any hotfixes for PSQL ( PSQLHotFixSetup952.exe for me )
  6. Verify that you are licensed -- Start -> Pervasive -> Other Utilities -> License Administrator. Verify you have permanent licenses. First time I did this they only went in as trial licenses and then expired in 30 days and my board wouldn't load (btrieve error 161 - license error)
  7. In C:\WGSERV, rename "wbtrv32.dll" to "wbtrv32.dll.old"
  8. copy the file "C:\PVSW\bin\wbtrv32.dll" into C:\WGSERV
  9. NOTE: For Nightmare to work you will also need to copy wbtrv32.dll into your NMR installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Nightmare Redux)
  10. In windows explorer, while browsed to C:\WGSERV, do a search for "*.dat". Highlight them all and copy them into a backup folder.
  11. Launch "C:\PVSW\bin\rbldgui.exe"
  12. Click "add"
  13. browse to C:\WGSERV
  14. type " *.dat " into the filename field and press enter. screen will refresh with all the .dat's showing.
  15. click the first one, hold shift, click the last one (highlight them all). click open.
  16. click next
  17. On the config screen don't change anything. I chose to uncheck "continue on errors" though.
  18. click next and then finish (hopefully no errors).
  19. repeat for *.VIR files
  20. repeat for *.VIR files under C:\WGSERV\GCVIRDAT
  21. Launch WG
  22. You can verify it's using the new engine by launching Start -> Programs -> Pervasive -> Pervasive.SQL -> Other Utilities -> Monitor
    • Options -> Connect
    • specify either your machine name or "localhost" in the server field. leave user name and password blank and hit ok.
    • MicroKernal -> Active Files will show you all of the open databases (should see all of the opened WG and MUD databases)
    • MicroKernal -> Resource Usage will give you stats of open files, handles, number of clients, etc
Installing and setting up FU Globals--
  1. Extract the zip to a folder
  2. copy ICOMP.exe from your majormud installation files (or from somewhere else) into the FU Globals folder
  3. open a command prompt to that folder and run " icomp DATA.Z c:\WGSERV\ -d -i -o "
  4. if you updated your btrieve to the new PSQL versions, use the rebuild tool to update the DIAL*.DAT and DIAL*.VIR files (see above)
  5. run the menu editor
  6. press F2 on TOP to edit
  7. put a "G" somewhere, short description: FU Globals, key required: SYSOP, no key: hide, destination page: FUGLOBALS
  8. return to tree, press F2 on FUGLOBALS
  9. Module page, Key required: SYSOP, Module Name: FU Globals
  10. F10 to exit
  11. start WG
  12. get to the menu and press G to enter FU globals
  13. at the prompt to register say yes and enter your code
  14. at the main FU Globals menu, press "C"
  15. Now make the following changes. First Type "E" for edit, and then type " cmd <COMMAND> " to edit it
    • " cmd ;repeat " => change the ;repeat to =r (no one likes typing "=repeat" and we change ;repeat to leave =repeat for anyone that has that macro'd)
    • " cmd ;# " => change ;# to just " # "
    • " cmd =fu " => disable this command to disable the sending of FU grams
    • " cmd =tl " => change ;tl to " shar " and =tl to " sha " -- parts 1/3 and 2/3 to disable the share command in mud and avoids an exploit
    • " cmd ;ask " => change ;ask to " share " -- part 3/3 to disable the share command to prevent an exploit.
    • Do the same for "forg", "forgi", "forgiv", and "forgive" to prevent another exploit. Assign them to other vars like "rt" (read FU Grams to you), "rf" (from you), "td" (time of day)
    • Additional commands to disable: set, mail, rpedit, macros1, macros2
  16. press X to go back to the main FU G menu and then press M for modules and then G for Go modules
  17. enter "MajorMUD" on one of the lines to disable the alternate go commands in mud
  18. back at the main FUG menu, press O for online CNF and then press 1 for config screen 1
  19. change #3) Key needed to be forced invisible at logon to something like "INVISIBLEKEY"
  20. on config screen #6 change "Default # of minutes of NO ACTIVITY before AUTO-AFK" to 0

Installing and setting up Dialsoft Control v5.62--

NOTE: Dialsoft Control v2.01 DOES NOT WORK... at least I couldn't get it to work. With v2.01 anyone that did not have a master key basically has no keyring. I could not find any way to fix this. Works fine in v5.62.
  1. Extract the zip to a folder
  2. copy ICOMP.exe from your majormud installation files (or from somewhere else) into the FU Globals folder
  3. open a command prompt to that folder and run " icomp DATA.Z c:\WGSERV\ -d -i -o "
  4. if you updated your btrieve to the new PSQL versions, use the rebuild tool to update the DIALCTRL.DAT and DIALCTRL.VIR files (see above)
  5. run the menu editor
  6. press F2 on TOP to edit
  7. put a "C" somewhere, short description: Dialsoft Control, key required: SYSOP, no key: hide, destination page: CONTROL
  8. return to tree, press F2 on CONTROL
  9. Module page, Key required: SYSOP, Module Name: Dialsoft Control
  10. F10 to exit
  11. start WG
  12. get to the menu and press C to enter Control
  13. press "C" to create configuration file (not sure if this is necessary or not)
  14. type "config"
    • enter registration code
    • Key required for sysop access to CONTROL: SYSOP
    • Store IP address of user in which account field: Country. ** DO NOT CHOOSE "PhoneNumber" ** -- I chose this and then whenever a new user was created it wouldn't save their choice for their sex, nor it would save their screen columns and rows.
  15. Type "N" for new user contol
    • Clear the name next to "New user mail notification accounts/forums #1"
    • Punish users who enter first name only? - no
    • Punish users who enter letters in their phone #? - no
    • Send new user email even if user is punished? - no
    • Disable all of the "Punish─new─users─who─use─kill─words" ...
    • Punish new users who use kill-numbers in their phone#? - no
  16. Press "G" for global and set SYSOP for key required for everything there.
  17. Press "MM" for Miscellaneous
    • Maximum simultaneous connections from an IP: Set if you want to limit this. And you can exclude IPs below that.
  18. If you would like to add everyone's IP address to a FU globals online list (a SYSOP one would be safer):
    1. From the WG utilities folder in the start menu, launch the Text Block Editor
    2. Scroll down to DIALGLO -> FUL5H (sysop user list #1 header) and click WGSDRAW
    3. Change "Real Name" to "IP ADDRESS"
    4. Press ALT+X and then choose save
    5. Now CLICK ON BUT DONT EDIT FUL5L (sysop user list #1 user online and visible) -- whenever I would edit this with WGSDRAW it would insert a "clear screen" escape sequence and there was no way I could figure out to get rid of it (supposed to be able to press ALT+W in wgsdraw but it wouldn't work). And manually editing it out would screw up the whole file.
    6. Just change the text "FUO_REALNAME" to "DIA_IPADDRESS" right in the window there.
    7. Click save on the toolbar and then close the text block editor (file does not compile unil you close it)
    8. Reload the system

syntax
Site Admin

Re: Setting up a new board

Post by syntax »

added FU globals install / config

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

added Installing and setting up Dialsoft Control

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Quick question.. I was able to set up WG with mud, but couldn't edit users or items or maps..I went through the steps of updating the dat/vir files to the pervasive 9.5 thingy, and was able to edit all info in nmr, thought I was all good, until I tried to compile an update. Failed with error 11 saying the directory was wrong, but all settings are correct..and yes I replaced the btrieve file in nmr folder as well, and no errors in conversion.. my wg won't start mud now, saying it found an update file but that no update file was present. Any ideas?
Where are your dats stored? C:\wgserv?? What is the exact error from btrieve? Does nmr work fine otherwise?

Toake

Post by Toake »

Yes WGSERV is the dir, nmr works perfectly otherwise. The error is 11, states something to the effect of "make sure the directory in settings is correct" when I compile update.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

What OS? Verify you have full permissions on the folder. What happens if you delete the file first? Did you try pulling a fresh copy out of wccmmud.z and then rebuilding it with PSQL?

Toake

Post by Toake »

Wow.. all that, and all I needed to do was just not put the wbtrv32.dll file in the NMR folder. everything works fine without that file in the folder. Now for the real fun stuff...

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Toake wrote:Wow.. all that, and all I needed to do was just not put the wbtrv32.dll file in the NMR folder. everything works fine without that file in the folder. Now for the real fun stuff...
Really? NMR wouldn't work for me without putting the file there. Well, good to know, and this the exact reason it's good to have all this discussion here! :)

Toake

Post by Toake »

Well, sort of. What I did was open NMR with the bt dll file in the folder, it loaded all the dats, I made my edits, and closed NMR, removed the dll file from the folder, opened NMR ignoring the errors and made a blank update file. All my changes had taken effect when I opened up WG. I'm sure this is not a proper way to do this but it works for now I guess...

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Toake wrote:Well, sort of. What I did was open NMR with the bt dll file in the folder, it loaded all the dats, I made my edits, and closed NMR, removed the dll file from the folder, opened NMR ignoring the errors and made a blank update file. All my changes had taken effect when I opened up WG. I'm sure this is not a proper way to do this but it works for now I guess...
that makes no sense. Are you (were you) getting the "error 11" when creating the update file or only when WG went to load it? And are you editing the files directly in the WGSERV dir?