Resetting your board

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
syntax
Site Admin

Resetting your board

Post by syntax »

Not written by me.... or at least I don't think it was. Maybe I did it years ago? lol

Option #1 (Partial Reset)
If you wish to reset all of the users on your board while maintaining the current map environment, you must follow these steps.
  1. shutdown board
  2. backup entire board (always ... just in case)
  3. delete wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.dat, wccbank2.dat, and wccitow2.dat
  4. replace all of those files with their respected .vir files.
    so copy wccuser2.vir to wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.vir to wccgang2.dat, etc. Note: if you don't have any .vir files, or need to get fresh ones; Go to your majormud install directory (the one with the setup.exe) and run: "icomp -d wccmmud.z FILENAME" (ex. "icomp -d wccmmud.z wccuser2.vir").
  5. remove all items from all rooms (wccmmutl.exe)
  6. run an offline recovery (wccmmutl.exe)
  7. start up board with lines closed (disable telnet server or change # lines to 0 and log in via console, or disable port forwarding, unplug cable, etc)
  8. execute the C option from the majormud sysop menu
  9. execute the CP option from the majormud sysop menu
  10. Choose R to re-index the limited items from the sysop menu

===========================================================================================

Option #2 (Full Reset)

If you wish to completely reset and start from scratch, follow these steps:
  1. Before you shutdown your BBS for the last time prior to the reset,
    choose C for Clear all saved evil points on the MajorMUD sysop menu.
  2. Immediately following 'C', choose 'CP' to clear all the saved profile
    information.
  3. Shutdown the BBS
  4. Resetting MajorMUD Plus - Entertainment Edition -- "clear plus data" option in the MajorMUD offline utilities
  5. Keep a backup copy of your WCCADDON.SYS file if you own any MajorMUD
    addons
  6. If you created a wccmmud.ini file, take a backup of this file now
  7. Write down any custom settings you may have done in your CNF options
  8. Delete all the WCC files from your bbs directory (DEL WCC*.*)
    NOTE: If you are running any other WCC Products (currently only WCC Line Control is available) please contact Metropolis for information on which files to NOT delete.
    NOTE: If you received a new WCCDMA.SYS file (for running on a DMA server) after the latest version was released, make sure you save this file to restore it after reinstalling.
  9. Re-install the latest version of MajorMUD using the appropriate methods and apply any newer patches
  10. Modify your CNF options as appropriate (refer to what you wrote down in step 7)
  11. If you took a backup of your wccaddon.sys file, copy it into your BBS directory now.
  12. If you took a backup of your wccmmud.ini file, copy it into your BBS directory now.
  13. Run the BBS and IMMEDIATELY choose C for Clear all saved evil points on the sysop menu. NOTE: This must be done prior to anyone creating new characters.
  14. Immediately following 'C', choose 'CP' to clear all the saved profile information. NOTE: This must also be done prior to anyone creating new characters.

Bloodrock

Re: Resetting your board

Post by Bloodrock »

this is my new edited version for resetting for an edited mud

[*]execute the C option from the majormud sysop menu
[*]execute the CP option from the majormud sysop menu

[*]shutdown board

[*]backup entire board (always ... just in case)

[*]delete wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.dat, wccbank2.dat, and wccitow2.dat
[*]replace all of those files with their respected .vir files.
so copy wccuser2.vir to wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.vir to wccgang2.dat, etc. Note: if you don't have any .vir files, or need to
get fresh ones; Go to your majormud install directory (the one with the setup.exe) and
run: "icomp -d wccmmud.z FILENAME" (ex. "icomp -d wccmmud.z wccuser2.vir").

[*]open nightmare go to tools/monsters select: reset last killed times to zero

[*]remove all items from all rooms (wccmmutl.exe)
[*]run an offline recovery (wccmmutl.exe)
Last edited by Bloodrock on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Just found this that I posted back in 2004--

Resetting your Realm ... Completely
Recently I came accross a problem where users were entering into a freshly installed mud with experience ... here is why and how to prevent it:

cause:
-user plays the game, gains exp, sets settings like "brief" and "set talk slow" and their pallette, etc

-user rerolls

-user's record in the user dat file is gone

... now, even though the user's information doesn't exist in any WCC file, we know that when they re-enter it fills in what name they were previously using, restores their settings, gives them a percentage of their evil points, and of courses gives them 10% of their exp (pending they had 'set keep on').

this is because this information is stored in the file "WGSGEN2.DAT." It is stored in the file under two "sections". i haven't looked into how it calls or retrieves the information because it really doesn't matter, but it stores them under "WCC PERMANENT USER" and "WCC MAJOR MUD EVIL". when you set up a multi-mud and change WCC to WBB or w/e, it would change those strings to "WBB PERMANENT USER" and "WBB MAJOR MUD EVIL".

now, if you used to have a second mud installed, but then later removed it, the information would still be in that file. as long as your call letters matched (WCC, WBB, etc) then the information would be used. granted, only people that have rerolled or were rerolled at some point without re-entering the game would have their exp, EPs, and settings used.

this also holds true in single mud BBS's -- say you want to reset, so you delete WCC*.* ... well guess what, that information is still in that file. anyone who has rerolled and didn't re-enter would have 10% of the exp they had when they rerolled.

how to fix it:
two nice little options on the SYSOP menu from majormud

C - Clear all saved evil points
CP- Clear all saved profiles (for resetting only)

pretty self explanitory. "C" clears all the evil point saves from the file and "CP" clears all the profile/exp information.

so the complete way to reset your realm would be:

execute the C option from the majormud sysop menu
execute the CP option from the majormud sysop menu
shutdown board
backup entire board (always ... just in case)
delete wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.dat, wccbank2.dat, and wccitow2.dat
replace all of those files with their respected .vir files. so copy wccuser2.vir to wccuser2.dat, wccgang2.vir to wccgang2.dat, etc. Note: if you don't have any .vir files, or need to get fresh ones; Go to your majormud install directory (the one with the setup.exe) and run: "icomp -d wccmmud.z FILENAME" (ex. "icomp -d wccmmud.z wccuser2.vir").
remove all items from all rooms (wccmmutl.exe)
run an offline recovery (wccmmutl.exe)

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

I was reviewing all this again since I am about to reset my board and I had a couple observations/things to mention...

Anton, in your revised steps for resetting and edited board, You have the 'Reset all monster killtimes to zero in nightmare' step BEFORE the step that clears all items on ground. I am wondering, since we know items are actually placed ON monsters when the monster gens (and actually get some of the attributes of the item(s), shouldn't this be AFTER the floor sweep? Because if the item is on the floor and its limited, it might not be put back on the monster. Maybe this doesnt matter but just something to consider.

The bottom post here is from syntax in 2004 talking about players starting with keeping 10% of their experience, and how clearing the saved profiles from the mud menu fixes that. I would just like to add this NEVER works on my board, EVER, we have reset every year now for 5-6 years and no matter how many times I do it, or in what order, ALL my returning players will start with 10% experience. The only way around it is for me to manually edit EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in nightmare, before the reset, back to zero experience, save them all, then let a cleanup happen. I don't know why this is, but it is...

Wish me a successful reset in a couple weeks lol...

-Ravyn

abyssyml

Post by abyssyml »

the wccuser2.dat is the dat file that holds the info for users. If you don't delete that then they will start with 10%

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

That is copied over as part of the instructions, still doesnt work for me, have to edit everyone to 0 :( oh well

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

I noted that the information is stored in the file, WGSGEN2.DAT. Would be curious to know if you check that file both before and after the C/CP options being performed and seeing if anything has changed in it. And regardless, also seeing if there is anything else in that file that seems important. And if not, what if you just restored a fresh copy of that file as well?

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

dunno if your right or wrong bout the mobs and room cleanup have had no issues for it always seems to have been ok to me for a reset. as far as your 2nd concern are you deleting the dat files or just copying over i have found it best to delete and replace. i have a folder with new dat files i use. only issue i have had after reset is the deeds for gang houses usually have to edit deed shop to fix deeds.