Few questions regarding IP Configurations / DNS servers

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
BearFather

Re: Few questions regarding IP Configurations / DNS servers

Post by BearFather »

Hmm I have been thinking doing a game server, but not sure I would get the use worth the trouble of setting one up. But if I do definitely will check these out. I personally miss me some tradewars. But boring without others playing.

rhipcity

Post by rhipcity »

thank you for posting these.

board is up and operating, ill be applying that second file next.

MiOw

Post by MiOw »

Waking this thread back up for a quick second... which of the first two files is more recommended for being able to modify the incoming port?

Thanks!

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357
BearFather

Post by BearFather »

No sure about the rlogin stuff but the first one is the one that changes the incoming telnet port. But in truth I'm running on default port only get 2 lines maybe used up by bots. And if I remember right you are going to do AWS? With AWS those kinda attacks would be blocked.

MiOw

Post by MiOw »

BearFather wrote:No sure about the rlogin stuff but the first one is the one that changes the incoming telnet port. But in truth I'm running on default port only get 2 lines maybe used up by bots. And if I remember right you are going to do AWS? With AWS those kinda attacks would be blocked.
Laying down my thoughts exactly. I am in learning mode right now and thought it would be a great piece of knowledge to have and you are right... I only have 1 - 3 shakes coming at a time a few seconds apart at worst, or so I've seen thus far. High hopes that AWS hauls in the rest like you said!

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Yep, that's normal internet traffic. And other then DDOS, they wont get in, WG is so old nobody knows how to hack it and not worth it since it's such a small attack surface. And if your being DDOS you pissed someone off.

tsohg

Post by tsohg »

MiOw wrote:
BearFather wrote:No sure about the rlogin stuff but the first one is the one that changes the incoming telnet port. But in truth I'm running on default port only get 2 lines maybe used up by bots. And if I remember right you are going to do AWS? With AWS those kinda attacks would be blocked.
Laying down my thoughts exactly. I am in learning mode right now and thought it would be a great piece of knowledge to have and you are right... I only have 1 - 3 shakes coming at a time a few seconds apart at worst, or so I've seen thus far. High hopes that AWS hauls in the rest like you said!
MiOw, I saw the same traffic when I got WG up on pot 23 using AWS. FWIW, we opted to change to a different port and those 1-3 pings went away.

MiOw

Post by MiOw »

tsohg wrote:MiOw, I saw the same traffic when I got WG up on pot 23 using AWS. FWIW, we opted to change to a different port and those 1-3 pings went away.
Thanks for the info. Appears to be par for the course when playing on the web. For now I'll run with the default port and watch it for any escalation. Like Bear said, so long as the IP or domain is not targeted by DDOS we should never feel any real impact from that amount of load.

By the way, hope you decide to jump on tonight or this weekend for the launch!

bbs.ClassicMUD.com

tsohg

Post by tsohg »

MiOw wrote:
tsohg wrote:MiOw, I saw the same traffic when I got WG up on pot 23 using AWS. FWIW, we opted to change to a different port and those 1-3 pings went away.
Thanks for the info. Appears to be par for the course when playing on the web. For now I'll run with the default port and watch it for any escalation. Like Bear said, so long as the IP or domain is not targeted by DDOS we should never feel any real impact from that amount of load.

By the way, hope you decide to jump on tonight or this weekend for the launch!

bbs.ClassicMUD.com
Looks good- I logged in. Cool that you got everything up and running on AWS.

Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

Bloodrock wrote:you can if you have the telnet patch for wg

Thanks, copied it over, but still don't see the option anywhere?