Few questions regarding IP Configurations / DNS servers

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
rhipcity

Few questions regarding IP Configurations / DNS servers

Post by rhipcity »

Hey guys,

Installed Worldgroup, Installed Mud, Installed CommandCenter,
board works fine with "AUTO" settings for IP Address

went to noip.com
registered no-ip.org ip

getting hung up on something that seems simple
how do i configure my ip settings , when i put in the new ip in the wizard, the board crashes upon boot..

thank god mudinfo.net is still here.

Shadoron

Re: Few questions regarding IP Configurations / DNS servers

Post by Shadoron »

Put your internal LAN IP address of the PC hosting the BBS in the config. Eg. 192.168.1.2. (Don't leave it on AUTO) Then, go into your router and open port 23 (or whatever you are using for your telnet port), and point it to the PC hosting the BBS. When people use your no-ip address, it'll point to your router, which will direct the telnet traffic to your BBS PC.

EDIT: you will need to make sure that you use whatever application no-ip uses to make sure that your dynamic WAN IP will point to your static no-ip url. That'll make everything work.

rhipcity

Post by rhipcity »

ive tried all of the above, still no dice..
im using comcast(probably the first issue)

my laptop and my desktop are both hardwired
laptop can connect to 10.0.0.15 (the LAN IP address for the Desktop)

laptop also have ipv4 address and ipv6 address
desktop(xp) only has IP Address : 10.0.0.15

i must be doing something very wrong right now :P

Shadoron

Post by Shadoron »

If it is a Comcast issue, maybe try changing your telnet port. You can change the port worldgroup listens on in the general settings. Then change the port in your router. Maybe Comcast has port 23 blocked?

rhipcity

Post by rhipcity »

I'll try that now.

rhipcity

Post by rhipcity »

Shadoron wrote:If it is a Comcast issue, maybe try changing your telnet port. You can change the port worldgroup listens on in the general settings. Then change the port in your router. Maybe Comcast has port 23 blocked?

i didnt see a place in Worldgroup General Settings , to change the port.

Bloodrock

Post by Bloodrock »

you can if you have the telnet patch for wg
Attachments
galtntd-mp.zip
for wg telnet
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 540 times

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Nice, always wounder why there was no option for this. Going into my default WG files.

Shadoron

Post by Shadoron »

rhipcity wrote:
Shadoron wrote:If it is a Comcast issue, maybe try changing your telnet port. You can change the port worldgroup listens on in the general settings. Then change the port in your router. Maybe Comcast has port 23 blocked?

i didnt see a place in Worldgroup General Settings , to change the port.
You can try a port checking service like http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check if you port is actually open. If I go to it, it auto fills in my WAN IP, and tells me that port 23 is open. If you open up port 23 on your router, and then try it, it'll tell you if it's a Comcast issue, or something with your NO-IP setup or your WG settings. If port 23 is open, then you know it's either something with No-IP (since canyouseeme uses your numeric IP address, not your URL), or it's something mis-configured with your WG or LAN settings. If it is closed, then Comcast could be blocking the port. You could try opening up a high number port (like 4000+) on your router, and seeing if that does show. If it does show open, then use the WG telnet patch in the post above to change your WG telnet port.

I know how frustrating this stuff can be, try to start eliminating some variables. And triple check everything you've done. I've been there... it's always the "thing I thought I already checked / changed" that ends up being the issue.

Shadoron

Post by Shadoron »

Also, here's a couple more WG patches, both for RLogin.

The first one allows you to change the port that WG listens to for RLogin connections to the BBS. I *believe* that the Worldgroup Client uses RLogin to connect the BBS. Thsi would allow you to change that port. I've never allowed Client connections, so I'm not 100% sure on that one.
RLogin Daemon Replacement +.ZIP
RLogin Server Port
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
The second is more useful. It allows you to change the port for RLogin OUT connections. This is used, for example, to connect your bbs to a Tradewars Gold server. Dspain edited the original GCOMM update, to allow you to also specify a module name.

Here's an example: You have a Tradewars Gold server attached to your BBS. I log into your BBS, and enter the Tradewars Server through an RLogin connection you have setup in the BBS menu. To other users, it would say User Shadoron is in RLogin Client. With this patch, not only could you change the default port from 513 to whatever you wanted, but you could also specify a module name. So, it would then say that User Shadoron is in TRADEWARS_SERVER. It's a nice touch if you are going to have multiple RLogin out connections on your BBS. Like a Gamesrv Door server, a Tradewars server, a SMAUG server, etc.
Attachments
R Login Client Update.zip
RLogin Client Port
(13.26 KiB) Downloaded 488 times