Btrieve error 87 handle table full -- fix??

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
cuckoorules

Re: Btrieve error 87 handle table full -- fix??

Post by cuckoorules »

I'm not even sure what to look for. I could probably just kill the WCC copy and re-start using the WBB files, but if that's the case I might as well wait until I'm ready to reset the PVP realm (hardly anyone plays because its an old stale realm right now). Was hoping someone could tell me what I might be looking for. Do you think one of the WBB Files is pointing at a WCC or what would even cause something like this? I'm not even sure where to look so at this point I might as well just start from scratch unless someone can point me in the right direction.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I would tell you the solution I found but instead I will do say nothing for last post.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

I will just go through all the files and look for a wbb value when I have time which is never.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

i was referring to your post about MME when i said i may be able to help you. came down wth a stomach bug today though and been sick all day.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

That was the guy who banned you from the Facebook group, not me. unless you want to troubleshoot why I can't export from NMR without first deleting a section of textblocks... but... I can't provide an export for records that won't export...so.. yeah... I just delete them before exporting and then restore my textblock dat file. That's not really a big concern to me so much as why my PVP realm is deleting users experience. It probably is something that got messed up when I was hex editing all the files because there were a few times when I started doing it backwards and then realized it and tried to manually un-do it, so i'll just need to go through each of the files and make sure I didn't re-mess something up when trying to un-mess it up. I was honestly just kind of hoping someone had seen this before and could tell me which file might cause an issue like this, but realistically it's somewhat doubtful given the age of this game and the limited number of ops running multiple realms and furthermore multiple edited realms on the same BBS. However, if anyone has recommendations on a more streamlined process for how to do my edits on one realm and then apply them to my second realm without re-doing a 2nd set of edits, i'd gladly take advice because that's getting fairly old fairly quickly also.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

So this post is terribly old and I'm only re-reading it because it was referenced in another newer thread. I believe that the btrieve error issue is related to some values needing to be set in the registry (see http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ings#p4345). I have since moved my realm to Bear's BBS for convenience sake and upon doing so, he did find an error in one of the hex edits, so that was likely the issue with the realm cross-over, even though I checked multiple times and still wasn't seeing the issue, and finally applying edits from a test realm can be done a variety of simpler ways than "re-applying them to a 2nd NMR". I have since learned that NMR allows you to export and import specific records, so you could go that route but what I personally find even more preferable is to just compile a full update file when I am happy with the edits on the test realm and drop it into my WGSERVER folder. The compile full update will make a new WCCUPDA2.DAT file which at realm cleanup will begin loading everything into the game. You can see when this starts and completes in the worldgroup console. It is highly recommended that after creating a full update file, you compile another blank one on your test realm, otherwise you will start editing things, accidentally run a cleanup and your edits will start overwriting each other or disappearing and you'll become very frustrated very quickly. A blank update file ensures that NOTHING updates at cleanup and everything will remain as is. It is also recommended that once the patch has been applied and completed, you should drop the blank update file back, otherwise you may experience some lag surrounding cleanup because it will re-apply that same update file every day over and over and over. Also, I know I'm 2 years late but sorry for this crazy thread spanning multiple topics. This should have been separate threads.

EDIT: Also, my issue with NMR not exporting my textblocks and erroring out unless I deleted some was actually because I hit a limit for number of records in an old version of NMR, but the present version has fixed this. (Thanks Syntax! :))

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

To add on to what cuck said, you don't have to wait till cleanup to install the update file. You can goto to the mud sysop menu and run it from there.

Also I prefer exporting a set of records for the update from my test system, then import those settings on the live board. Allows me to have a test environment with several ideas half done, and don't have to worry about that going into the live game before it's ready. Also my test tools like wands with sys spells don't go into the live world and people can be sneaky so would hate for those to get into the realm. Plus forgetting the update has caused me so much pain before never again.