Btrieve error 87 handle table full -- fix??

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
cuckoorules

Btrieve error 87 handle table full -- fix??

Post by cuckoorules »

Hello all,

I've got 2 realms running on the same Worldgroup BBS, and when I try to open NMR at the same time I receive a btrieve error. Similarly, if I try to run the board with NMR running, it crashes with a btrieve error on the WCCGANG2.dat file. In researching this error, it seems this is due to a "handle table" being full and several things suggest increasing the "Maximum number of open files" or "Logical File Handles" to a larger number. Does anyone know if this is editable within Worldgroup or how this data is stored? Seems like it is using pervasive SQL, but I don't know if this error is fixable so that I can have the board running AND edit in NMR at the same time. I already do my edits on a secondary VM, so its not the end of the world but it'd be nice if I could fix this.

Thanks.

BearFather

Re: Btrieve error 87 handle table full -- fix??

Post by BearFather »

It has to do with the server running as a service. If you run WG as a service Nightmare can't access the files cause the user "system" has them locked. If you run the GUI you can access the files cause your user has the files opened.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

what do u mean in the GUI?
i think thats what im using. it only started happening since i put up a 2nd realm

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

If you run worldgroup.exe you get a Graphical User Interface. If you run it as a service you don't get any interface it runs in the background.

Basically it's running under different users. My test server is a copy of my main server. It has two realms, same OS, on a VM. The only difference I run my test by the shortcut and get a GUI, my main server runs as a service. My test machine I can run nightmare at the same time, just have have it open when launching the server. My main machine wont open.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

Yeah, I am running as a GUI so this is not the issue. There has to be a setting for this somewhere, I just don't know where it is. If you search on error 87 it says its just due to some sort of handle table being full and several thread recommend increasing the maximum logical handles value, but I have no idea where worldgroup stores this value.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Maybe try running both as an admin and see if it sycn's up. Unless mudrev changes shit it should be fine. I don't run mudrev games.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

I can try that, but I never had issues until I put two realms on the same worldgroup server, so I think the issue is just that both realms trying to access the database plus NMR is too many connections. Mudrev doesn't change anything in the way that the database functions, so that should be irrelevant. I never had the issue when only running one realm.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I run two realms on the server while access it with nightmare, and I can edit both of them.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

Followup:

I have two realms set up on my BBS. I have not encountered any problems with my NON-PVP realm which was actually a copy of the PVP realm that I have since reset. However, on the 2nd realm which uses WCC call letters, funny things are happening. For example, I happened to catch my bot at cleanup and it had the following message:
You are no longer in the gang Synergistic Syzygy.
Your black iron greathelm has been removed.
Your mithril earrings has been removed.
Your head of the orc warlord has been removed.
Your sunstone wristband has been removed.
Your Ring of War has been removed.
Your visor of power has been removed.
Your Dragon Ring has been removed.
Your black iron boots has been removed.
Your firestone pendant has been removed.
Your petrified stone mask has been removed.
Your dragonscale belt has been removed.
Your Golden Platemail has been removed.
Your black iron gauntlets has been removed.
Your trollskin pants has been removed.
Your hero's tabard has been removed.
Your Nexus Warblade has been removed.
This gang NEVER existed in the PVP realm, and these items are items from my ganghouse on my Non-PVP realm, but they are still present on the Non-PVP realm. I just shut down to fix an issue and upon bringing the realm back up, one of my PVP players found out his user was rerolled to 0 exp, but still has all the items. Similarly, when my bot had this message occur he was rolled but still had his items as well. Also, I get an error when trying to run both realms on worldgroup and open NMR at the same time (btrieve error 87 handle table full or something)... but I can run one or the other just fine. I believe all these issues are somehow related but I simply don't have a clue what's happening. I manually deleted the gangs from the PVP realm and found that the top list was showing everyone in this same gang "Synergistic Syzygy", however the users were not ACTUALLY in that gang, and again it never existed in that realm. Anyone have ANY idea what is going on? Did I mess something up or how are these realms somehow vaguely connected in a seemingly random way?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Yeah sounds like to me you might have missed some line with wcc, cause sounds like your two realms are bleeding thru. Did you do all the files in the subfolders? I say go thru your dll's and make you got both "wcc" and "WCC". I have not dealt with btrieve in over 15 years.