Adding edited monster information to Megamud dats?

Discussion on running your own board and editing MajorMUD.
cuckoorules

Adding edited monster information to Megamud dats?

Post by cuckoorules »

So, I realized that megamud has a built in @home feature which will lookup a given monster and return to the player whether or not said monster is alive. This is fairly nifty, however currently it only works for stock monsters. I am trying to see if anyone knows where you can add new monsters information for these purposes into the dat files for megamud. Has anyone else tried to do anything similar to this? Alternatively, is there any built-in functionality that can be used to read the results of a command and somehow parse whether or not the monster is alive out of that information? I've played with the messages/responses and found some nifty tricks but nothing on that level. Any help would be much appreciated!

cuckoorules

Re: Adding edited monster information to Megamud dats?

Post by cuckoorules »

Been digging and very puzzled by this one. I found that if I open the C:\Program Files\Megamud\Default\MONSTERS.MD file in a Hex Editor, it appears to have the information of the monsters in it, however if I search this file for a common monster, such as mad wizard, etc. it is not found in the file. The odd thing about this is that whenever I have this file open, if i try to display the monster information in MegaMud it will show like a new monster, with no available information. As soon as I close out of the file, the information is available in MegaMud again, but still no presence in the file for said monster. I am very puzzled because this particular file is clearly involved in the process of storing this information, but it is currently beyond me. Hopefully this will encourage someone else to look into this :)

virucizer

Post by virucizer »

10:07pm /epi @home lord magnu
10:07pm Epic telepaths: Lord Magnus is alive and has never been killed!!

i think this was done by not using megamud.

you could ask him yourself if you are still working on this
epicbbs.no-ip.biz

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

cuckoorules wrote:Been digging and very puzzled by this one. I found that if I open the C:\Program Files\Megamud\Default\MONSTERS.MD file in a Hex Editor, it appears to have the information of the monsters in it, however if I search this file for a common monster, such as mad wizard, etc. it is not found in the file. The odd thing about this is that whenever I have this file open, if i try to display the monster information in MegaMud it will show like a new monster, with no available information. As soon as I close out of the file, the information is available in MegaMud again, but still no presence in the file for said monster. I am very puzzled because this particular file is clearly involved in the process of storing this information, but it is currently beyond me. Hopefully this will encourage someone else to look into this :)
Pretty sure I recall they are using some obscure database program. It probably doesn't store the information in complete cleartext so that's why you can't search and find stuff.

EpicMUD

Post by EpicMUD »

Yes, virucizer is correct. I do not use Megamud for my bot. There is really no reason to assuming your bot character does not script. Scripting while people are issuing @commands at you would probably cause problems anyway. Any good scripting client can easily reproduce the Megamud commands and do much more. Currently my commands:
  • return regen times for bosses
    return the players current room and evil points
    return the players abilities for questing purposes
    returns the players missing equipped item slots
    adds evil points to the player
    makes the player max villain
    makes the player max neutral if neutral/good
Any other suggestions the players have for commands I add aside from lives, retrains and such. The game has to be somewhat challenging. ;)

The client I use is cMud and I would be more than willing to share the scripts I've written if others would like to setup similar bots in their Realm.

cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

This probably isn't very useful for anyone to know, but I was revisiting jamming things into MegaMud and did find out that the reason it isn't and probably will never be open-sourced is because he used/uses proprietary database called C-Index/II. In searching for the company that maintains this, they do still appear to exist but have basically re-branded and appear to have basically no information surrounding this proprietary database other than that they can do contractual support for it. I'm interpreting that as it's basically abandoned but if you pay them, they'll look at your problems with you. If anyone wants to pursue this further though, you'd probably need to look into how that proprietary database works and Google gave me basically nothing.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

cuckoorules wrote:This probably isn't very useful for anyone to know, but I was revisiting jamming things into MegaMud and did find out that the reason it isn't and probably will never be open-sourced is because he used/uses proprietary database called C-Index/II. In searching for the company that maintains this, they do still appear to exist but have basically re-branded and appear to have basically no information surrounding this proprietary database other than that they can do contractual support for it. I'm interpreting that as it's basically abandoned but if you pay them, they'll look at your problems with you. If anyone wants to pursue this further though, you'd probably need to look into how that proprietary database works and Google gave me basically nothing.
I have the source code. We were working on trying to come up with a front-end interface into the DB files. Unfortunately it's written in vanilla C code and doesn't translate well at all into today's languages and compilers. We stopped working on it due to simple lack of interest on our end but may get back into it in the future.

However, as for the topic at hand, you don't need this particular feature in megamud. Just use this: http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1506