Room Illumination - ranges, abilities, other

General MajorMUD Discussion
MiOw

Room Illumination - ranges, abilities, other

Post by MiOw »

I was curious about different aspects of room illumination and thought I'd share my findings.

First, the ranges that apply for different levels of visibility based on illumination

+0 Illu or Above is fully visible (no modifier)
Below 0, The room is dimly lit
Below -100, The room is barely visible
Below -150, The room is very dark - you can't see anything
Below -200, The room is pitch black - you can't see anything

There are three abilities that impact illumination

#13 - Illu - increases/decreases the illumination value for ONLY the target, example being that the person wearing a mask is the only beneficiary
#14 - RoomIllu - increases/decreases the illumination value for all people in the room, example being the Sunsword lighting up the area
#54 - IlluTarget - this one is a little tricky and appears to be the one that applies to light sources (torches, lanterns, light balls, etc...) As best I can tell it "illuminates" the target, and by this THEY light up the ROOM. This is evident when someone using a torch or light ball allows others in their party that walk in behind them to benefit from the illumination. When you equip a light source, you in effect become the "Illuminated Target" per the ability's namesake. I believe the game treats something that is (Readied) much like a spell effect because this ability does not work the same if something is equipped, as would be an armor/weapon item that generally has one or both of the other two abilities.

The starlight spell adds #14 - RoomIllu

Thanks!

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357
MiOw

Re: Room Illumination - ranges, abilities, other

Post by MiOw »

Additional input when attempting to modify items...

Light Modificatios
Goal: assign stealth penalty to use of light sources (torch, etc...)

Item used for testing: (175) torch
default: Light Nowhere

Armor Off-Hand - unable to equip as thief, when equipped as warrior you must "use" it to see, no message, room becomes dark within a few seconds and must be "used" again.

Armour Nowhere - unable to equip/use as warrrior

Special Nowhere - unable to equip, "use" the torch lights up room temporarily with no message

Light Off-hand - must "equip" to "use", remove extinguishes torch but unable to unequip. does not show remaining fuel but it is consuming.

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357