Effects of Raising Stats

General MajorMUD Discussion
BearFather

Re: Effects of Raising Stats

Post by BearFather »

So that really does suck to use retrain to get out of tough spots. Esp if you had good rolls your first time around.

MiOw

Post by MiOw »

Wow... thank you for the legwork on this! Clarifying my above post, it would seem based on #1 and #5 there is no cumulative gain or loss per level based on raising a stat early, only the overall bonus from the stat itself. In summary, I am not sacrificing HP, Martial Arts, MR, crits, accuracy, etc... by waiting to raise a stat like Intellect.

Also restated, there is no benefit to training stats between each level vs. training a bank of levels and training stats all at once.

Good to know, but I almost wish it were the opposite to place more emphasis on character development!

ClassicMUD... lightly seasoned with no dupes!
www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2357
cuckoorules

Post by cuckoorules »

There is a common "bug" in mudrev where you can actually have your HPs go DOWN when you train. I believe that your "extra" hp (i.e. your HP rolls if you have 3-5 hp) get stored somewhere, and I think if that value exceeds 255 or something, you effectively lose all your bonus HP and start over. This is largely only an issue on highly edited realms where there are a billion levels or where the classes are provided with wide ranges for HP values. In discussing this with DeathCow a long time ago, really the only proposed solution to getting around this "loss" of hp when training is to effectively try to flatten out the hp ranges further -- for example if you have a 3-7 HP class, maybe make it 4-6 instead. The average is still the same, but the number that it has to store for "extra hp roll" is smaller. I'm honestly not POSITIVE this is how it works, but I've seen the HP drops before myself. I suspect when you retrain, you get a random hp roll for each level as well but again I don't know the specific mechanics. It's probably just a new roll for each level. I highly doubt training each level individually would have any impact. I suspect that is more like the old myth that you got more hitpoints from using the specific class trainers when I think the reality is they were just slightly lower markup values and cost a little less to train or something.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

I had one player hit that and didnt know why he lost a big chunk of hps and this would explain it. I ended up giving him a special item that gave him his HPS back.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

It probably wouldn't be very hard to find that field stored in the user DB... And subsequently wouldn't be very hard to then add it to NMR.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

That might come in handy

zlarb

Post by zlarb »

Interesting how charm here says it has +crit but the testing in another area came up with a different result

Kyau

Post by Kyau »

Cheers, this was very useful when doing the hero sheet for my website. This made calculating encumbrance a joke! Also I am getting the same results as you in regards to the additional AC, even pulling all the info direct from the DATs. As you said, if there is an AC boost its hidden.

On a side note...
Interesting and possibly pointless information I learned about AC and DR while working on displaying an output of `stats` for each character. The game calculates both of these stats from each item, which has these stats stored as a decimal in an integer field. This means that if an item has say 20.5 AC, it is stored in the DATs as 205. When all of the items are tallied together and averaged the resulting number is then floored instead of rounded. For the non-programmers/math-geeks in the room, this means that the number is always rounded down. Even if the resulting AC is 99.99, you still will only ever have 99 AC. This also applies to DR.

Lochlenn

Post by Lochlenn »

Sorry to necro this thread but, I have better data on spellcasting and picks.

pulled from the mmexplorer source

Code: Select all

spellcasting calc

mage: (((int * 3) + wil) / 6) + (level * 2) + (magiclevel * 5)
priest: (((wil * 3) + int) / 6) + (level * 2) + (magiclevel * 5)
driud: ((wil + int) / 3) + (level * 2) + (magiclevel * 5)
bard: (((cha * 3) + wil) / 6) + (level *2) + (magiclevel * 5)
kai: 500 + (level * 2) + (magiclevel * 5)
and

Code: Select all

rolledpicks = if (level <= 15)
	  	  rolledpicks = (level * 2)
	      else (((level - 15) / 2) + 15) * 2
	      picks = ((((rolledpicks * 5) + (agi + int) * 2) / 7)
all these values are floored

Does anyone have stealth/traps rolls?

HERSCHEL

Post by HERSCHEL »

I have been using IDA Pro and simply wound up with megabytes of gathering hogwash, I didn't have the tolerance to attempt to recollect my x86 get together and sort through that spaghetti.