Mega Tweaks

General MajorMUD Discussion
Raptor

Mega Tweaks

Post by Raptor »

It's been YEARS since I've played and recently got back in to the game...
What I'm wondering is does anyone have any good tweaks or message/response things to use within Mega to make it "more better?"

Thanks much!
Rap

sigma

Re: Mega Tweaks

Post by sigma »

A few off the top of my head:
1. The illuminate spell creates a "light ball" item that has to be readied similar to a torch. So if you use the spell, set up a response to "use light ball" after casting the spell, with maybe an extra carriage return added on the end of it so you look around the room and see it's lit up after equipping the light ball.

2. Messages for many high-level spells (particularly those you get from the gnome merchant) need to be tweaked/added if you want to be able to track them while scripting.

3. IIRC, checking the "Meditate before resting" box in Health settings is bugged and will make your character either not meditate or not rest (I forget which) at all, so don't use it.

4. Issues with Two-handed weapons:
There was a change made in one of the last versions of Mud to how two-handed weapons appear in your inventory (i.e. instead of saying "weapon name (equipped)", it says "weapon name (Two-Handed)". Mega was never updated to recognize this change, and keeps trying to equip the weapon over and over if it's already equipped instead of attacking.

To get around this, put random letters in the "normal weapon" slot in your combat settings, and just equip the weapon manually. It'll never see those random letters in your inventory, so it'll never try to equip another weapon, allowing the one you want the character to use to stay equipped.

IIRC, if you use a separate weapon for backstabs while using a two-handed weapon for normal attacks it's necessary to use message responses to switch to your normal weapon after attempting the backstab (might require multiple responses-- one for the "surprise" message when you hit your BS, and another for the BS-weapon's missed attack message). Mega should switch back to your BS weapon automatically after you clear the room.

For two-handed weapons that have on-use spells (such as the Emerald-Tipped Crozier), the situation is similar to trying to attack with them where it'll keep trying to equip the item over and over... except now mega actually has to recognize it as equipped before it'll attempt to use the item. IIRc, you can fix it by setting your normal attack weapon to the actual weapon (as opposed to random letters), then set up a response to the "you have no <weapon name> left to equip" message (or however it comes up) to remove/un-equip the weapon... at which point, it'll equip it again, the "you equipped <weapon name>." message will be enough to satisfy mega that the weapon is equipped, and it'll use the item's spell.

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

meant to post this a while ago - thanks!

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

follow-up

I recently started on a new board and i thought i had all my settings correct but now, when i'm wielding your average 2handed weapon mega won't attempt endlessly and needlessly to re-equip UNTIL I save the character file.

Any workaround for this? never saw it happen before. nothing changed except the BBS i'm on as far as i know.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

It's a bug, with the way mud shows two handed now. Last patch for mud changed a few things like hangup and all that, and this is after Gravin stop updating mega. So you wont see people hang(my edited board fixed), and two headed now says "(Two handed)", instead of either "(Weapon Hand)" or "(Equipped)" I cant remember which one.

Now the fix....

You put garbly gook in the weapon slot and it won't try to eq it cause you don't have it. If you want to switch well that's a little harder to deal with. You would have to work with message responses to switch weapons, like if you bs switch, if you gain exp, blah blah.

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

That seems similar to what Sigma said. I'll worry about the message/response it if I have to :D

Thanks!

wardance

Post by wardance »

in the weapon option of mega, add "(Two handed)" to the end of it (or whatever it actually says when you equip a 2h), some weapons are long named so you cant fit the whole thing, just add until you run out of room.

eg: Normal weapon: Longnamedildo (two hande

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

I didn't even think of doing that!
Awesome!

Now to find that Longnamedildo....

Joker

Post by Joker »

Raptor wrote:I didn't even think of doing that!
Awesome!

Now to find that Longnamedildo....
Unfortunately, Metro removed the Longnamedildo (two-handed) from the game, and now they just use it on themselves. I heard they recently promoted it to CEO.