Pledging alignment

General MajorMUD Discussion
erich

Pledging alignment

Post by erich »

According to the release notes for 1.11h, people that have finished 3rd but have not yet started 5th quest can pledge a new alignment. Except... it doesn't say how. The pledge room above the fountain says it's for starting over after 1st only.. and doesn't seem to work.

Is there some other way to pledge a new alignment? I did good and am trying to pledge evil.

BearFather

Re: Pledging alignment

Post by BearFather »

I remember needing a smoky talisman from the support shop. Then you could only reset it if you only done the 1st alignment quest, and not the second.

Like I said this is only by memory.

sigma

Post by sigma »

Considering the last version of the game that was released was 1.11p, you can't really go by something that was supposedly done in 1.11h. Things often got changed and not included in the notes-- especially towards the end.

Either way, never did it in-game myself (I either dealt with what I had, or managed to get it edited), but I remember someone explaining it to me as you can't have started the third quests yet... though after looking at the textblocks in MME, that's mostly splitting hairs with what BearFather said as far as version 1.11p goes.

Long story short-- in 1.11p, getting your quest ring is the cutoff for the good quest (supposedly can't even have asked Annora "missions" yet after that, nevermind turning in Goru's head). For evil/neutral, you can have gone as far as asking Balthazar "work" or Grey Lord "missions"... you just can't have turned in the elf-heads/beholder eye yet.

Of course, this all assumes the pledging commands actually work, and I have no idea how the talisman fits into any of it anymore either since things were supposedly changed to for it to be completely unneeded at some point.

I also don't recall anywhere else in-game where you could switch alignment quests other than the pledge room, so other than editing with NMR, that's all there really is.

erich

Post by erich »

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, the release notes are the only place I can really go to have an idea of what features are/were there.

1.11h says pledging is there if you have completed 3rd but haven't started 5th. 1.11L says that it again requires the smoky black talisman. Still a bit misleading.

One board I play on someone pledged a new alignment and they were somewhere between 2nd and 3rd (they don't remember where).

I've tried pledging a new alignment using a talisman after completing 4th but not starting 5th -- I get a blank line at the pledge room.

So, pledging does still work in 1.11p, I'm just trying to ascertain whether or not it's where 1.11h says it was supposed to be, or what the room description says it is.

sigma

Post by sigma »

Like I said, looking at the textblock for the pledge commands in MME (which reads the data directly from files used in the game) shows that it checks for the values that are assigned when you receive your quest-ring (i.e. the end of the first quest). If the value is above that amount (or possibly not that amount exactly, not 100% on that), the adjustments for pledging aren't applied.

If you feel the need to further verify it in-game, that's where you should start-- finish up to the point where you get your quest ring, then don't do anything else (including talking to your alignment quest-giver again), and go try to pledge another alignment.

Then, go advance the quest variable to the next value (i.e. ask Annora "missions" for the good quest; turn in the heads/eye for evil/neutral), then go back and see if you can still pledge after doing so.

For reference, a list of all the quest steps as they pertain to the quest-variable value being incremented can be found here:
http://quest-ware.webs.com/queststeps.htm
(note the value next to each step is actually assigned by the previous step... so for example, dropping Markus' head and the box off with Balthazar to complete the 1st evil quest actually assigns the value of 3 shown next to the one step for the 2nd evil quest).

And here's a screenshot of the textblock covering the pledging commands as it appears in MME with version 1.11p data loaded:
http://i.imgur.com/1NtAx8f.jpg?1

pwyll

Post by pwyll »

How can I get a smoky black talisman?

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

You need to ask your sysop to get it from the support chamber.