MajorMud 1.11p bugs

General MajorMUD Discussion
Xeeg

MajorMud 1.11p bugs

Post by Xeeg »

Hey guys i am planning on opening a non-script mud in a couple weeks to a month. I know, sounds lame, but currently working on a few changes to make it fun, playable and balanced.
:D
Right now, What i am looking for is a list of potential bugs that i might encounter with a fresh installation of 1.11p

For Example: I know that there is some kind of bard bug people can use for outrageous cash, but i don't know how it is performed so i dont know how to stop it.

I would hate to open up the bbs just to reset it and try again because of bug abuse. If anyone knows of any bugs and how they are performed, could you please send me a description so that i can try to counter-measure it?

I can understand that sharing bug information is probably frowned upon, so if you know of an easy fix to some bugs that will work too. I just want to know what I am up against here with a fresh install. I'd like to be as prepared as possible when i open the bbs.

Thanks,
Xeeg

EndoExo

Re: MajorMud 1.11p bugs

Post by EndoExo »

This is absolutely the worst idea I've heard in the last 12 years.

-EE

Xeeg

Post by Xeeg »

Well it's cool if you don't want to share bug info, but it you know of any workarounds I can put in to stop them that's fine too.

Kraklaha

Post by Kraklaha »

hit me up on facebook bro... ive never been a fan of posting bugs in a public format where people that dont ALREADY know how to abuse them can learn how...

www.facebook.com/kraklaha

brookln300

Post by brookln300 »

I am trying to put an end to these as well, please drop me a message on here and I would greatly appreciate it.

Xeeg

Post by Xeeg »

I've realized that keeping bugs secret doesn't do the mmud community any good, it only does the people who know the bugs some good. everyone else gets screwed.

LETS RELEASE THE BUGS AND WORKAROUNDS SO THAT ALL NEW BBS CAN FIX THEM.

If the ops dont fix them, then dont play on that board, or at least everyone knows about them so its not just some secret group of people cheating.

This should become a standard list for EVERY new sysop to fix on their boards prior to hosting a mmud.

Bug List

#1 - Bard cash bug - Fixed by increasing minimum shop % to 10% i think.
#2 - Cloaked figure bug - Fixed by making their exp 10k, NOT 100k
#3 - Share bug - Fixed by enabling FU globals and creating a "share" command to overwrite the mmud command. Essentially disables sharing, which is a minimal loss to get rid of this bug

There are a bunch more buts its been a while so i cant remember. I think there might be some instant regen areas and stuff. Maybe the community can help pitch in with bugs and workarounds for ops to fix them.

I used to know more but id have to get back to

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

Xeeg wrote:I've realized that keeping bugs secret doesn't do the mmud community any good, it only does the people who know the bugs some good. everyone else gets screwed.

LETS RELEASE THE BUGS AND WORKAROUNDS SO THAT ALL NEW BBS CAN FIX THEM.

If the ops dont fix them, then dont play on that board, or at least everyone knows about them so its not just some secret group of people cheating.

This should become a standard list for EVERY new sysop to fix on their boards prior to hosting a mmud.

Bug List

#1 - Bard cash bug - Fixed by increasing minimum shop % to 10% i think.
#2 - Cloaked figure bug - Fixed by making their exp 10k, NOT 100k
#3 - Share bug - Fixed by enabling FU globals and creating a "share" command to overwrite the mmud command. Essentially disables sharing, which is a minimal loss to get rid of this bug

There are a bunch more buts its been a while so i cant remember. I think there might be some instant regen areas and stuff. Maybe the community can help pitch in with bugs and workarounds for ops to fix them.

I used to know more but id have to get back to
I agree 100% and all bugs should be posted with fixes and stickied. Mods/Addon-Ons made to fix the bugs if applicable too.

Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

Not sure why someone said this is a bad idea. The game is not being updated anymore, and all the bug's have been around for a decade and pretty well known. It's not like they are still updating the game and this is all a secret. It's up to the community now to fix stuff, since obviously Metro is not going to do it.

Shadoron

Post by Shadoron »

Here's a bunch of bug info I pulled off the Metro Sysop Support forum recently. Some I've tested (and fixed), while others may or may not still be in 1.11p. I apologize for the formatting, but I pulled them directly from forum posts.

Orfero's Shop Bug:
(not fixed in 1.11p or 1.00x) "As for shops, make the minimum mark-up 25% realm-wide. Therefore there is no more buy low/sell high for elf bards, with beauty. (Set Orfero's Shop to 285% in Nightmare Redux) Elf bards, with their charm maxed, blessing with beauty, can buy/sell song of battle at Orfeo for a profit. They buy low, sell high because Orfeo's is a 0% markup shop. If an elf bard player makes a macro s/he can buy/sell the song of battle fast enough to make about 8 runic per hour, perhaps more."
It's a simple fix in NMR.

Lyrist's Companion (Bard Cloak) Bug
(Not fixed in 1.11p or 1.00x) "lyrist's companion; casts spell 1055/ "BCNS" (bard cloak no spell)
cast message "3499" (blank) - re-insert the cast message, like the rest of the cloaks have. (2520)
desc message "3498" (blank) - re-insert the desc message, like the rest of the cloaks have. (2531 works nicely.) At this point both are currently left blank. MajorMUD doesn't like being told to execute a command with no commands in it; that's what causes the "The room casts XX!" issue with room spells. Many of the game's room spells are left open ended and are written is a sloppy manner. The messages are inserted backwards and the game is looking for "Textblock 0" when it should be looking for "Textblock XX"; the appropriate text block is set up as a duration, level cap or some other protocol for the spell. poor coding."

This bug will crash your board if left unfixed. Follow the instructions listed, using NMR, and it will actually function like it should. Most Sysops just used Fu Globals to block the command "u lyr", this will actually fix it so the cloak can be used. Your bards will love you for it.

Encumbrance Bug
The only way I know to fix this is by using FU Globals, as stated in a post above. You block the share command to fix it. Here's a little more information on how it's done, and what exactly it let's you do:
"For the most part, it is more hassle than it is worth to carry around so much coin all the time and even more of a hassle to have to reload it, not to mention, running a stash long enough to pile up that much money in one room. I wouldn't have been able to accumulate a stash that big if I hadn't been scripting on the galleon where others had scripted before me, for over a year, and where several rooms had more than 7 million silver in them. For an elf bard, the number of coins needed to roll enc twice was somewhere between 8 million and 9 million...for the general smasher, it would take even about 1 million coins per 1000 enc to roll enc once. This would be a lower amount for most casters but still would take a lot of time to collect/make and load. Since this is strictly a sharing feature, it ties up a lot of time on 2 characters."

"From everything I've heard about this feature, it has been in the game almost from the beginning and has been known about almost as long. I find this one less harmful and offensive than the bard buy/sell at Orfeo feature or the green house rubbish room/Khaz rubbish room bug. And even less offensive than the bard cloak bug. Yes, this has been around for sometime, I had a user on my board show me how it was done, he has used it on another board and been barred from playing there. He does not use it on my board, but he did show me how it works.
A user goes into a room with lots of money and picks it up until he is heavy, then he does a share with his other characters, picks more up and does a share, he continues this until the enc goes over a million or so and they can all walk around like there was nothing on them."
"I shared more than 9 million silver nobles (do you have any idea how long that took) onto my mystic in order to get her stash off the galleon; her enc rolled not once but twice. It wasn't worth the time and effort it took to load that much coin at one time so I never bothered to do it again.

I've used this "feature" to haul in cash from stashes and regen rooms (I prefer to drop it at Khaz and run an 8 room loop to and from the bank to deposit it, others drop it in the Halls and create a loop to the Temple Spell Store to buy and sell the spell of harm to convert to larger coin.) but as a way of making massive exp, it isn't very effective for anyone who can't smash or any non-casting class. Once loaded with that much coin, the character is limited to 1 swing per round. This is all well and good for a smasher but doesn't do any good for any character using standard attacks, bashing, punching, kicking, jumpkicking, etc. It can help a true caster such as a mage or a druid since it does not limit the casts per round on the spells that can be multi-cast. Even for those who can smash or cast, it has distinct disadvantages since the character can't pick up anything, can't run a stash point and has to go through the entire reloading process after a death, after training, after a quest requiring that certain items be carried, etc. All of the boards where I've played have allowed the use of this feature to facilitate transporting money although some have disallowed using it as a way of increasing dodge."

Surprise Round Bug
I've never head of this one, and I have no idea how you would fix it.
"The surprise round bug is when you have a 2H weapon equipped and BS with it. The game doesnt let you of course, but it still lets the attack go through but in normal combat. It doesnt give the flag as being attacked to the other person."

Fixing Guards that see hidden
Quoted directly from Metro's Shannon:
"As far as the guards go, I looked them up tonight and what I found was that guards have have seen hidden long before metro took over. I have a zip of 1.1a dats, that's Christmas of 1995, and the guards see hidden in those files as well. As to why wcc decided they should do that, I can't say since I wasn't there, but it's not something we have changed since we took the files over.

I think the issue is that it used to be that See Hidden didn't work as intended. It would allow mobs to see hidden players if that's all they were, but if they were sneaking too then it didn't allow the mob to see the player. Since most people who are hiding were also sneaking prior to trying to hide, most monsters never saw you (efreeti is another example).

WCC ended up fixing this bug after I reported it, but unfortunately more monsters have see hidden flags than I think should (the guardsmen especially), but at least it works properly now. =)"

I haven't fixed this yet, but it's easy enough (if not a little time consuming). You would have to open up all the City Guard "monsters" in NMR, and remove the "spell/ trait" SEE HIDDEN from them. This would let sneaky evil characters actually hide and move through Silvermere, etc. without being constantly attacked by the guards.

Dual Lever Disconnect
"The green house rubbish room, Khaz disposal chamber bug is a bit trickier but can have nasty consequences. If a player in the green house rubbish room pulls the lever at the same time another player pulls the lever in the Khaz disposal chamber it cause random disconnects of players in the realm. This can play havoc if it occurs during a boss kill, if players are disconnected while in big regen rooms, etc."
I tried looking at the levers in NMR, and everything looks good. I guess this must be some coding error somewhere. The fair way to neuter this would be to block access to the Khaz Disposal chamber, via the map function in NMR. I haven't actually played MMUD in many years, so I'm not sure if the Khaz chamber is the only place to dispose of certain objects? You could block the green house rubbish room, but that makes the green gang house less functional. I don't know if this is still a bug in 1.11p - its pretty hard to time, even if you have two people who know about it.

Gang House Deed Hoarding
"Deed Issues. This typically happens when a gang loses their deed because the user has run out of money. The ganghouse resets at the next cleanup and appears back in the shop, but doesn't correctly remove from the old owner's inventory. So the files think it still belongs to him and will keep resetting it. What you can do is to remove the deed manually from that player, either by using the sysop's hoarders menu to remove it, or to log the character on and physically sell it back to the deed shop. Once the deed is gone from the first owner, it will show up in the deed store at the next cleanup and be ok to buy and keep for the new owner. "

"Yeah it shouldn't be able to be picked up and it shouldnt' stay on someone who's not a gang leader. I know that's been a previously reported error where people disband a gang and join a new one and keep the deed, but I don't think it's addressed in 1.11p. The user who picked up the deed and then created a gang and then disbanded to join another and keep the deed is clearly and deliberately taking advantage of a bug."

The quotes above explain the manual way to keep this one in check. I don't know how you would fix it permanently.

Finally, here's a list of snippets and quotes of bugs that I pulled, but couldn't find any info on. They may or may not be fixed. Hopefully they will jog someone's memory, and we can get some more info on them:

- "Now its been brought to my attention that a user can go and retrain STATS anytime he wants to. I have a capture but cant see how he is doing it. Its done in Newhaven universal trainer. "

- "(seems fixed in 1.11p) Check out barmaid selling room tickets to bards. not sure what the bug is. Maybe reselling them? Or something with exp?"

- "Cave worm bug to rapidly gain levels? "

- "Look into sysop teleporting when running multiple invasions."

Joker

Post by Joker »

Shadoron wrote:
Surprise Round Bug
I've never head of this one, and I have no idea how you would fix it.
"The surprise round bug is when you have a 2H weapon equipped and BS with it. The game doesnt let you of course, but it still lets the attack go through but in normal combat. It doesnt give the flag as being attacked to the other person."
In Version 1.11p full, for anyone who's curious, here's the fix for this:

Using a standard Hex Editor (I use AXE HexEdit), open the wccmmud.dll, jump to the listed offset and change the bytes as listed.

offset 0x392D7:
68 41 49 48 00 ==> 68 4F 49 48 00
-------------------------------------------------------------

This edit fixes trying to backstab with a Two-Handed Weapon, and will instead, engage in a regular attack, and the "victim" will be given the "moves to attack you" message.

NOTE: You can most likely fix this the same way using NMR, but as I've never used the program, I wouldn't know how to explain it. If anyone else who is familiar with NMR can chime in, please do. Lastly, thanks for digging all this up and posting it here, Shadoron. These bugs have been around and abused way too long. Anyone who runs a majormud realm should ensure these issues are fixed before opening up for business.