SYNTAX

General MajorMUD Discussion
Dace

SYNTAX

Post by Dace »

I'd send you a PM, but your lame forums wont let me until I post more.

Please release the megamud source. I'm not a motivated enough dev to build it from scratch, but i'd love to do some tweaks =]

syntax
Site Admin

Re: SYNTAX

Post by syntax »

Not a very good motivator on your part to call my stuff lame at the same time asking for something.

Dace

Post by Dace »

Can't argue that. I apologize for being rude, The private message blocker was very annoying after all the signup stuff. Sorry. Anyways. I'm a c++/c#/stack dev who's very interested in megamud tweaks. Is there anyway this is possible? =]

Dace

Post by Dace »

Also, I'm not unwilling to donate a bit for the efforts. I've been after the source for a while now, I tried decompiling but it was very messy.

syntax
Site Admin

Post by syntax »

The source was given to me with stipulations so I am not free to distribute it. It does not compile in any of today's tools as-is as it was coded in vanilla C. The database side of it is also proprietary and needs to be rewritten and removed from any future releases. A friend of mine, apathy on here, who is a much better programmer than me, has been working on it sporadically and has gotten to compile certain parts of it. Apathy has made great strides in reverse engineering the database portion, but just not there yet in getting it to work. Our first goal was to write a component that would allow NMR to write the mega's dat files directly.

Dace

Post by Dace »

"he source was given to me with stipulations so I am not free to distribute it." - thats a good reason to not not freely distribute the source.

Otherwise? I've done some embedded C programming before, in addition to a few years developing on Ps2 working at EA tiburon (all c, with main func entry point providing a pointer to memory and thats all you got, no new() or any of that ez stuff we paged our own blocks) so I'm somewhat confident I could figure it out. Using files for databases was also something fairly standard back then. Nothing new for me there.

I'm not sure what value was gained/preserved by keeping the source private, but I understand the situation. Is there any chance for collaboration at all? Or? I can send you my resume if it would help =]